Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Blogger Friend School Assignment #10 {Cookie Exchange}

 


(Yes I know these assignments are out of order! I was away when they were given, but wanted to complete them anyway)



Part A:  Please share your favorite Christmas/holiday cookie recipe(s).


Part B: Share a memory, story or tradition about baking any Christmas/holiday goodies.


Part C: Share a verse that is upon your heart this week.


I don't do much Christmas baking, especially not cookies.  I always want to - I like to bake - but it usually winds up being something rushed rather than something fun and creative.  Kennady has enjoyed baking, and likes to help in the kitchen, so she is helping me this year.  So - on to the recipes.  This first one is my "standard" for any cookie exchange, basically because it is SO SIMPLE.



Unbelievable Peanut Butter Cookies




  • 1 cup peanut butter



  • 1 cup white sugar



  • 1 tsp vanilla



  • 1 egg



Mix all ingredients well.  Form one-inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Press with a cookie stamp or a fork to flatten.  Bake at 325 for 10-12 minutes.



 


This recipe is a family tradition.  I have only made them by myself one time, because my aunt makes sure we all get some of these for Christmas.  They are a spicy crunchy cookie, very small (a little bigger than an almond or pecan - the spicy I don't understand, since there are no spices added) and addictive too! This year I think I may try to make some of my own, since my aunts (with help from the great-nieces) made them while we were in Alberta, and we didn't bring any home. 


 



Peppernuts




  • 3/4 cup margarine



  • 1 1/2 cups sugar



  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar



  • 3 eggs



  • 2 tbsp water (if needed to make dough workable)



  • 2 tbsp corn syrup



  • 5 cups flour



  • 3/4 tsp baking soda



  • 3/2 tsp baking powder



Mix all ingredients together.  Roll dough into ropes and cut small slices.  Bake at 350 till set.


 



And the third recipe I'm sharing is another family tradition that I have only done by myself once.  I do want to make these this year as well, but we'll see.  I have three different recipes for it, but this one is the simplest:



New Year's Cookies


Dissolve 1 tsp sugar in 1/2 cup warm water.  Sprinkle 1 package dry yeast on water and let stand 10 minutes.  Add:



  • 3 cups water

  • 3 cups milk

  • 1/2 cup sugar

  • 1 tsp salt

  • 1 tbsp butter (melted)

  • 4 eggs, beaten

  • 2 or 3 cups raisins, depending how much you like them!


Stir in enough flour to make a fairly thick batter.  Let rise until doubled.  Drop by spoonsful into hot, deep oil and fry till golden brown.  Drain and sprinkle with icing sugar.


 



I remember having those New Years Cookies on New Years Day many years when I was growing up.


 


My verse:  All this took place to fulfill what the LORD had said through the prophet: "The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" - which means, "God with us."  ~Matthew 1:22-23  (I love that God Himself has come to be "with us")


 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.