Saturday, February 26, 2011

Weekly Wrap-Up: In Which We Are Rather Multi-Cultural

Homeschool: We started the week with a field trip to Mount Vernon (pictures HERE), a place I've wanted to visit for as long as I've lived here (approximately 14 years!). Turns out that offering free admission in honor of President's Day and having a homeschooling friend to go with was the extra motivation I needed to get me there. It was a cool and drizzly day, and we were all properly exhausted when we got home. So on Tuesday I allowed a two-hour delay to our homeschool. 8-) With the result that we got some Language Arts and Math done in the afternoon and that's about it.

Wednesday had more promise as a productive schoolday - I managed to get everyone up and working on time. Landon and Kennady looked through the Asian section of the Holidays of the World Student Cookbook with me, and we picked out a few Chinese (and Thai and Korean) recipes to try, and a few Indian dishes to try as well. We have a family of mostly picky eaters who are particularly resistant to vegetables, so just finding recipes they express some willingness to try is an accomplishment! I'm one of the picky eaters myself, so I can certainly sympathize, but I think we picked out a few things to try that will challenge us but not make us gag. LOL We shall see how it works out... We completed a Science lesson in the morning, and some Social Studies (Japan) in the afternoon.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="320" caption="learning about viscosity"][/caption]



[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="320" caption="testing our hypotheses about the comparative viscosity"][/caption]


And speaking of picky eaters... at co-op on Thursday, the Cooking class focused on vegetables, so Landon and Kennady each got to make and try Veggie Pizza. Kennady loved it - Landon... not so much. Art/Geography class talked about India, and our art project was a batik-look wax resist picture. A peacock colored in bright blue and green crayon, then dipped in black paint so it looked like batik. It turned out well, I thought, but I don't have a picture of Kennady's (yet).

In Other News: We got more snow Monday night into Tuesday morning, so once again choir was cancelled. Friday the wind kicked up again and it was crazy! I ventured outside at great personal risk to retrieve our trash and recycle bins from being blown to the land of Oz, and had to actually struggle to get doors opened against the wind. It was so windy, our porch light was blown sideways. LOL I guess I should be glad it wasn't torn right off the wall!



Friday evening was the start of our church's annual Missions Conference, and I attended the service with the kids. DH had a long day at work (partly because of the wind and the power outage it caused) so he relaxed at home. Saturday we attended a Missions lunch and a Taco dinner before the evening service. I didn't have to cook at all!

On the Bookshelf:

  • Quitting Church by Julia Duin (I didn't read in this one this week, because I've misplaced it... it's around here somewhere though)

  • Miniatures and Morals: The Christian Novels of Jane Austen by Peter Leithart

  • Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

  • In Search of the Mountain of God: The Discovery of the Real Mount Sinai by Robert Cornuke and David Halbrook

Posted review of In Search of the Mountains of Noah which I finished last week.

Parting Shot:

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="320" caption="Missions Conference"][/caption]



[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="320" caption="Missions Conference"][/caption]

2 comments:

Pro Blogger News said...

Weekly Wrap Up In Which We Are Rather Multi Cultural...

[...]Turns out that ofering fre admision in honor of President's Day and having a homescholing friend to go with[...]...

Giggly Girls said...

Love the experiment. So simple! That's my kind of experiment. LOL

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.