Monday, August 13, 2012

Y is for... Yummy!

I hesitate to write about food, because I am not really a foodie.  More like a wannabe foodie, and even that has its limits.  And I don't even like to cook that much.  However, I've noticed that some food items have made frequent enough appearances in my blog to warrant having their own label, and we do use food as part of our homeschool experience.  Usually in social studies, as we try a recipe that represents another time, place or culture.

Here are a few of our adventures with food that turned out to be particularly yummy!

A study of Italy wouldn't be complete without an Italian-inspired menu:
Fettucine Alfredo and stuffed eggs are family favorites anyway. Salad and tomato herb bread . Yummy!
When we studied Greece, I experimented with a Chicken and Feta Pie.  I wasn't very optimistic that the kids would like it, but they have requested it be added to our regular meal plans!

I found a recipe subtitled Armenian Pizza when we studied the countries of the former USSR, and we tried it.  It was almost like Sloppy Joes on a crisp pita crust.  We liked it and decided it would make a really good appetizer.  Another recipe from that study that was delicious was Georgian style Cheese Bread, a shortcut recipe using frozen bread dough.

     

A very recent favorite, which is actually a rediscovered favorite of my family, is Chocolate Zucchini Cake.

We always have my homemade chocolate cheesecake for DH's birthday, and sometimes for other special occasions as well.  You'd think that after all these years of making it, I would be better at getting the drizzle on top without blobs, but it's harder than you'd think.


If you read my blog or my Facebook page at all, you probably know that we love bacon, and are willing to try all kinds of outlandish things if they include bacon.  This past year we've tried:
Chicken-fried Bacon
Bacon/cheddar/onion stuffed burgers
smoked bacon-wrapped meat loaf
smoked bacon-wrapped chicken
Mac and cheese pie in a bacon crust
Seriously, it just doesn't get any better than that mac and cheese pie.  Truly yummy!


I'd be happy to share recipes or the places I found them, but that will have to happen on a different day. Do you have some favorite foods or some recipes that you've discovered through homeschooling? Leave a comment and let me know!

Photobucket

Blogging through the Alphabet is a weekly link-up hosted by "Ben and Me". Please visit to join in and to see what thoughts this week's letter has prompted for other bloggers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.