Saturday, March 9, 2013

Homeschool Mother's Journal: Looking Forward Edition


In our homeschool... Finally! All reasonably healthy and not too much on the calendar, so we did a pretty good job with school this week. I think we only got three history lessons done, but I'm not worried about that at all, as we're still on track. All three kids got started with an online science curriculum we'll be reviewing (Supercharged Science) and I think we may have a winner on our hands already! Everyone is coming along nicely in Math, even though Landon has lost some momentum lately, and I could wish that Kennady spent more time on Life of Fred.  She does do the Target the Question math stuff almost every day and likes that, and just found out she gets to review Math Rider for me again.  So I guess I shouldn't complain. She is getting practice with math concepts, after all. Language Arts is going okay... Landon and Kennady are both ahead of the pace in their grammar curriculum, but Landon still drags his feet over writing assignments.  Spencer keeps plugging away at his English, but it's certainly not his favorite subject!

Art continues to be a favorite subject for Kennady, and she had a very good week because she got to show off a selection of her work at co-op, and when I posted the review of ARTistic Pursuits.



And I found this amusing - a recent history lesson was a biography of Shirley Temple. Kennady asked if we were going to watch a Shirley Temple movie, so I checked what the library had available.  We had to wait several days, but when we received "The Little Princess" Kennady immediately wanted to watch it.  She loved it! Who knew?! I also have the Shirley Temple movie of "Heidi" on its way, which should be fun too.
In other news... We had originally planned a fairly busy week, but in anticipation of bad weather, CAP and midweek church activities were both cancelled.  As it turned out the snow expected Tuesday evening didn't start till well after midnight, so we certainly could have had CAP.  We woke up to a beautiful covering of snow on Wednesday morning, and it was no surprise that public schools were closed for a snow day. To keep it simple, our church automatically cancels midweek activities when local schools are closed because of weather, but it was all clear by afternoon, so we could easily have had youth group and kids clubs too.  Oh well.  It was actually kind of nice to spend the evening at home.

Helpful homeschooling tips/advice to share... visit Schoolhouse Review Crew member blogs next week for the 5 Days of Teaching Creatively Blog Hop! I've got a couple of my contributions ready to go, and I'm looking forward to getting ideas and inspiration from my crewmates!
                                                                                       Source: schoolhousereviewcrew.com via Kym on Pinterest


What's working/not working for us... our van, sort of. We have yet to get it passed at emissions testing, because after the last repair something else triggered the check-engine light. Will it never end? It is actually working fine, just causing me headaches as far as getting the emissions test passed and out of the way for another couple years.

Thoughts/questions I have... I need to go back to the dentist and I so do not want to.  Boo. I've developed a toothache so now I have to overcome my fear of dental work and dental bills to get it looked after!

One of my favorite things this week... snow! Beautiful!!! Even with our tipped over birdbath. LOL

A photo/video/quote or link to share...  Visit Ben and Me and/or Sam's Noggin to enter the Teaching Creatively Giveaway to go along with the Blog Hop.
                                                                                                Source: benandme.com via Kym on Pinterest


On the bookshelf...
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  • The Wolf of Tebron by C.S. Lakin
  • The Spirit Well by Stephen R Lawhead
I have not had a lot of time for reading lately and it feels like I'm not getting very far. I'm enjoying all three of the books I'm working on, just not working on them very fast!

A parting shot... We're inching closer to Spencer's graduation all the time! We submitted yearbook photos this week, and kind of related - I am about to renew with our homeschool oversight group, and I'll only have two students next year. Wow!
Senior portrait photo shoot
This post is linked up at iHomeschoolNetwork - see what other homeschoolers are looking forward to this week!
undefined


I'm also linked at Hammock Tracks - It's A Wrap!

http://hammocktracks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/savannahbutton2.png
©2006-2013 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Savannah McQueen said...

Isn't the idea of fewer students due to one graduating both bitter and sweet? I have done that twice now and I am down to two remaining students. Thanks for linking up to HammockTracks.

Stacie said...

Wow incredible art work. This looks like a really great program. I think I might consider investing in it for next year for both the kids.

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.