Monday, August 26, 2013

Homeschool Mother's Journal: Late Start Edition

Well. So much for doing my weekly journal post on Saturdays like I said I was going to. My excuse is that I was out during the entire day on Friday and all morning on Saturday and I just wasn't prepared to change my blog schedule. I've been having quite a time keeping up with bloggy things lately anyway - maybe getting into a bit of a school routine will help me out with that. Anyhoo....

In our homeschool... We did get started with school last week as I'd hoped, although we didn't get everything on the list done. It turned out I had a couple of appointments during the week that I hadn't taken into account, plus the big excitement on Friday (more about that in just a minute!). We did start on our History/Geography course, and we started easing into a new schedule. Both kids did some Math review to refresh their memories before jumping into the subject again. Landon is working on his Bible study, for which I'll post a review very soon. This week I'm hoping we can add most of the rest of our subjects back into our days.
Photo

Our first official field trip of the year was on Friday. We found out at the beginning of the week that Civil Air Patrol glider O-flights would be available on Thursday and Friday, so my friend and I convinced our boys that this would be the ideal opportunity. The guys signed up for Friday's flights, and we all piled in my van and spent most of the day at the Harford County Airport, where Landon and his friend each got their first flights in a glider. I counted it as a field trip for Kennady too, as she did get to see some behind-the-scenes at the airport, and listened in on some of the orientation session.


Saturday morning was our umbrella group's opening meeting, where we get our record-keeping instructions for the year, and get the announcements and "refresher course" on the bylaws and expectations of the group.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share... Get "First Day of School Pictures" if you possibly can. Some kids (like mine) don't like cooperating for those pictures, especially after they get to a certain age. I'm really disappointed that Kennady wouldn't pose for me this year, so I'm very glad I have six or seven years of pictures of her already. Like I said, I'm not above grabbing a candid shot and labeling it as "First Day". LOL

In other news... We had our annual reviewers luncheon on Tuesday. This is when all the ladies that check up on our homeschool group's families during the year get together for our 'marching orders' and some relaxed time together. It's always fun to visit with these homeschool moms and it makes for a great start to the school year. I ran some errands afterwards since I was in town, and in the evening we went to CAP and some moms met for our second last coffee hour of the summer. One more week and then choirs start on Tuesday nights, so no more homeschool moms coffee hour on that night. For me anyway!

Wednesday evening was the last youth group night for the summer season. We take a couple weeks off and then it's time for the big kickoff for fall programs!

Thursday morning I had the dentist appointment to work on my crown. Interesting. It's the first time I've had a crown done, and although it wasn't all the painful (except to my pocketbook!) I would like to believe it's the last.

One of my favorite things this week... probably the O-flight day. How awesome is it that these flights are offered free to cadets! Landon never gives too much away as far as showing emotion or excitement, but he did say he had fun which is pretty big for him. I'm just so impressed with the Civil Air Patrol overall - it is a fantastic organization that offers amazing opportunities for young people.

Things I'm working on... lesson planning, settling into routines, and it's time to do some vacation planning as well. We need to decide whether we'll do Christmas with DH's family at Christmas, or at Thanksgiving. And whether we can fit some kind of day trip to NYC into this week so we can meet up with a good friend that I went to school and church with way back in the day.

A photo to share... I bought this t-shirt for Kennady this week. It is so perfect for her! LOL

On the bookshelf...

  • The Stones Cry Out by Randall Price
  • Sticky Faith by Dr Kara E. Powell and Chap Clark, Ph.D.
  • A Time for Silence by Philippa Carr
  • A Spear of Summer Grass by Deanna Raybourn
  • Highland Blessings by Jennifer Hudson Taylor
Seems like I needed some fluffy reading this week, because I finished two very light novels during the week, and have yet to write about them on my book blog. I read Pride's Prejudice by Misty Dawn Pulsipher, and The Touch of Sage by Marcia Lynn McClure. 


A parting shot... This picture didn't turn out that well, but I love that Kennady loves to read. She was making it a goal to finish this book in a week. It's The Mysterious Benedict Society.


http://bit.ly/14VJ0MF

This post is linked at SoYouCallYourselfaHomeschooler.com and at Hammock Tracks - see if other homeschoolers are staying on time this week!

Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to Homeschool Coffee Break by Email!

©2006-2013 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.