Saturday, April 5, 2014

Homeschool Mother's Journal: Ordinary Week Edition

In our homeschool... Somehow it snuck up on me again. Third quarter grades were due yesterday, so I had to scramble a bit to get Kennady's together. Thankfully, it was a pretty good week, and a pretty "ordinary" week, which was very helpful since I'm finishing up my "5 Ordinary Homeschool Days" blog hop posts for next week! I think we hit every subject and made progress. The kids are just about finished with their writing program. I wish Kennady would get some work done in Science, but that is her least favorite subject this year, so she is avoiding it. She's happy to watch videos and that sort of thing, but not to do the notebooking assignments. Oh well. Perhaps this coming week I can focus on Science with her a bit more.
Art always gets done!
Landon and Kennady made a "celery hot tub" when they worked on a science experiment.
They always have to add something silly.
I still haven't made any decisions about curriculum for next year, but Kennady and I browsed through a couple of catalogs and she told me what she'd be interested in. She wants me to make sure I get her the Lightning Lit books for Grade 8; she would like to study European culture and geography, with less history, so I'll have to see what I can come up with for Social Studies; and her choices for Science would be meteorology and geology, and I've got some good ideas for that.

In other news... we think spring may finally be here. We've had sunny days and slightly warmer weather, although it is still chilly at night. Kennady's softball team was finally able to have practices outside this week!

Last Friday evening we went to the hockey game in Hershey, which was great. The weekend was full of running here and there to deliver kids to their activities, as usual. During the week, it wasn't quite as crazy - I managed to keep my running around limited to Tuesday for the most part, so that we could get some things done at home. Or at least that was the theory. School went okay, but I didn't get nearly as much housecleaning done as I would have liked, and I still haven't finished the taxes. Yikes! Working on that this weekend, actually.

One of my favorite things this week... might have been right at the end of last week - the hockey game. It was an exciting come-from-behind win for our team, and like I said - the first time we've been to a Bears game this year!

I recommend...  the FREE unit study on Beauty and Makeup offered at Hip Homeschool Moms. I was so glad to run across that this week, because my daughter will probably be wanting to wear makeup soon, and while I have no objection, I do want her to learn to do it right and have the right attitude about it. This brief study written by Jennifer Lambert of Royal Little Lambs (she happens to also be a Schoolhouse Review Crew blogger!) includes plenty of links to helpful websites, tips on skin care and looking your best, and thoughts on what God's Word says about beauty.

On my blog this week...

On the bookshelf...

  • I, Mona Lisa by Jeanne Kalogridis
I finished Mortal Arts by Anna Lee Huber, and The Forgotten Ones by Laura Howard. You can read my thoughts on both of them at my book blog: Just A Second.


A parting shot...
What happens when I am driving and Kennady asks where the camera is.
SoYouCallYourselfaHomeschooler.com

   For the Display of His Splendor
This post is (or will be) linked at Managing Your Blessings, at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers,  and at For the Display of His Splendor -  see if other homeschoolers had ordinary weeks.

Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to Homeschool Coffee Break by Email!

 ©2006-2014 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

1 comments:

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

Thanks for sharing the beauty and makeup unit. My EIGHT year old already wants to wear makeup. Sheesh.

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.