Tuesday, September 16, 2008

BFS #102 {Try It, You'll Like It}


Intro: Try it, you’ll like it! (Life Cereal)
When everyone else was afraid to try Life Cereal, they called on Mikey. Sometimes stepping out of our comfort zone is just too scary. Have you felt God gently (or maybe not so gently) nudging you to do something for someone else? You know that it needs to be done, but you keep putting it off because it is outside of your comfort zone? Well ladies, this week we are taking a step outside of our comfort zones.


Assignment: This week I want you to do something for someone else. Do you have a neighbor that needs you? Do you know an elderly person or single mom that could use you? What about the homeless? Pack even one single sack lunch and give it to someone in need. Do you know someone in blogland that is struggling right now and could use a note from you about how much you care? Pray about this. Let God put on your heart the perfect thing for you to do for another. Now, here is the kicker…I DO NOT want you to post about what you do. Whatever you choose to do is between you and God. Our rewards are in heaven, not here on earth, Mathew 6:1. I want you to post about how doing this “act” made you feel. Was stepping out of your comfort zone in this area as hard as you thought it might be? Could you see the gratefulness in their eyes? Hear it in their voice? Tell it from their typing? Do you think you might make doing things like this a more regular part of your time?  If this is an area that you are already active in, tell us how you feel this has impacted your life.


 


 Y'know, I love to do things for others, but I admit that I'm not always very good at realizing someone is in need of encouragement or help.  Sometimes I feel like I missed the memo.  Or I don't really know what I can do.  That being said, I have been able to give a helping hand or a word of encouragement enough times to know that it is just as much a blessing to be the giver as to be the receiver.  To know that God was able to use my very imperfect words or actions to touch someone else.  I know that I need to be more intentional about reaching out to others - to look for the opportunities, and then to pray about what God would have me do.  I don't know what to do or say, but God does, and if I ask Him, I believe that He will let me know what my part should be.  I chose a verse that is a reminder that generosity is multiplied in God's economy.



Give and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap.  For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.  ~ Luke 6:38



9 comments:

nikkisimcox said...

your post is. I enjoyed it. ~ Nikki

missionarymama said...

I like that verse. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I know what you mean about not always knowing what to say or do for someone.


I love you pictures from your trip! Beautiful place!

Blessings,

Libby

MoreLittleWilsons said...

One thing I've learned recently is not to worry about whether someone deserves the blessing I'm offering. ... It's not up to me to decide what and how someone uses my blessing (I'm thinking of panhandlers and that sort)... if they're going to spend it on more drugs, then so be it.. but the point is, YHVH has commanded us to provide for the homeless, the needy, the orphans and the widows.. how they use it is between them and God. So often we're warned not to be foolishly giving (money) to the beggars.... but through prayer.. we will know. If God has said, give.. then give.. God uses the bad uses of our gifts to fulfill his glory too!'


Salvation comes to all who ask, not all who deserve it.. I see my giving of time, money and gifts the same way..


(this of course is not a reflection of your post.. but just something on my heart to share)


Mrs. Sombra

BFS Teacher

Michelle122161 said...

I like your verse. It is so true. We can't out give God.

Blessings,

kimalita said...

Amen, Kym. The Holy Spirit will guide you. The only thing He asks of us is to have a willing heart......

Sheri said...

so true about how God multiplies things. I like the verse you chose as well...thanks for posting it.

Anonymous said...

"I have been able to give a helping hand or a word of encouragement enough times to know that it is just as much a blessing to be the giver as to be the receiver."


Amen to that!


Jessica

http://apathwithpromise.blogspot.com/

Tweety said...

This is something that I believe that I need to do. To pray for God to show me and then use me. This has not been a prayer that I remember often, but hope to change that so that God can change me.

God Bless,

Your Blogger Friend,

Teresa

MomsFriendshipCircle said...

God will let you know what He wants you to do and sometimes the small things like a hug, touch or just a smiole mean the most to someone.

God bless,

Pat

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/PatsPlace/

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.