Monday, November 26, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal: In Which We Prep for the Holidays

In our homeschool... We took most of the week off to celebrate Thanksgiving, but did get a few odds and ends of schoolwork done.  Monday was our only full day of school.  We did a little on Tuesday morning, before heading to gym class, and the kids worked on their own on a couple of things during the rest of the week.  But for the most part, I let it go.

Landon and Kennady finished off a unit in history, so that we were at a good place to take a few days' break.  We had been studying the Civil War, and one of the books we looked at was mostly about cooking during that time period, so on Tuesday we had johnnycakes for lunch. I don't think they were as good as the kids were expecting!



In other news... Last weekend we spent the morning and part of the afternoon hauling firewood.  I had to take Spencer's place, since he couldn't very well do it on crutches! We loaded up five truckfuls of firewood from our friend's place and brought them over here and stacked them.



On Wednesday, Spencer saw the orthopedist and we confirmed that the injury is a sprain and not a break.  It is, however, a Grade 4 sprain, which is the worst possible. 8-(  He is in a boot now, and is supposed to keep all weight off the foot for another two weeks or so.  We'll see the doctor again right before Christmas and if it's healing as expected at that point we will talk about what physical therapy will be needed.

Wednesday evening we all went to the annual Gobble in the Lot - the tailgate style potluck Thanksgiving that my hubby's hockey buddies put together each year.  We had a good time, but it was cold so we didn't stay very long.

On Thursday, we were privileged to join an extended family from our church for their Thanksgiving dinner.  Added blessing for me - turkey dinner and I didn't have to prepare any of it! I did bring some desserts though.  And we got started with decorating the house for the holidays.



No shopping on Black Friday for me.  Not this year anyway. Harrison and I went out in the evening, hoping to order him some new glasses, but the place we wanted wasn't open.  We bought lights for our tree and that's about it. On Saturday morning I took Harrison to order the glasses, and called it good for shopping.

Sunday afternoon DH and I bought some new-to-us furniture and called it our Christmas present.  One of his friends had a leather sofa and chair he wanted to sell and offered them to his friends before listing it.  It matched the sofa we have and we've been meaning to replace some furniture ourselves at some point, so we took him up on the deal!  We've got wall-to-wall furniture right now, until we figure out what goes where, which things we definitely want to get rid of, and which room we're moving things to.  Then in the evening, we went out for dinner to celebrate hubby's birthday (a couple of days early).



Helpful homeschooling tips/advice to share... well.... none, because we didn't do much school this week!

What's working/not working for us... me keeping up with grading.  I thought I'd get some updates to our assignments done during the week, but I really didn't get very far.  Hopefully today I can finish up.

Thoughts/questions I have... I'm trying to remember if it's this week or next week I signed up to help out at gym class.  I have no idea.  I should write these things down.

One of my favorite things this week... Thanksgiving with good friends.  Yummy food.  Christmas music.  Silly and fun times with my kids.  Yeah, that was more than one.

A photo/video/quote or link to share... because I need to get moving on my Christmas letter and cards...  More printables and holiday organizing tips at: Organizing homelife



On the bookshelf...


  • King Alfred's English by Laurie J White
  • The Crystal Scepter by C.S. Lakin
Finished The Pool of St Branok by Philippa Carr.

A parting shot...

This post is linked up at iHomeschoolNetwork - See how other homeschoolers are focusing on the holidays.
undefined

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.