Tuesday, January 7, 2014

King Cake



I made this simple version of King Cake (Louisiana style) yesterday, and it is delicious! Head over to my friend Jennifer's blog for her recipe - you'll find it here at A Glimpse of Our Life.  I used a little less of the pecans, and I found that I didn't need as much of the icing. Even cutting the amount down a bit, I still wound up with a pool of it in the center. Not that the kids minded spooning it out of there. LOL  I topped it with gold and silver colored sugar, and candy confetti. Since the same dish is also associated with Mardi Gras, I have an excuse to make it again soon!

King Cake
2 cans refrigerated crescent rolls
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup pecans (I used about 1/2 cup)
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup brown sugar

1-1/2 cups icing sugar
milk

Soak the raisins in hot water for awhile to plump them up, then drain well. Mix all the filling ingredients (cream cheese, raisins, pecans, cinnamon, brown sugar) together in a food processor until raisins and pecans are well chopped and the consistency is smooth. (I 'chopped' the raisins in the blender, and ground up the pecans in a coffee grinder because I don't have a food processor) Open the crescent rolls and overlap them in a ring on a pizza stone. (If you've ever been to a Pampered Chef party, you'll know exactly how that's supposed to work!) Spoon the filling along the center of the ring, then fold the dough over and seal as best you can. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Mix the icing sugar with a little milk, a teaspoon at a time, until you have an icing that is easy to stir but not runny. Pour over the cake after it has cooled a bit. Decorate by sprinkling colored sugar on top.



Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to Homeschool Coffee Break by Email!

 ©2006-2014 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the linky love. Pampered Chef is where I first learned how to do the ring, but with a chicken broccoli filling.

Kym said...

I'm so glad I tried your recipe! It was very easy and so good. :-)

Tess said...

You're killing me with these fabulous looking recipes. Adding this one to my Evernote as well!

Lisa Boyle said...

This looks beautiful and delicious! Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." Hope you will be able to join us again this week. :-) http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/01/try-new-recipe-tuesday-january-14.html

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.