Friday, February 7, 2014

Eating the Americas - Pasta Frola

Eating the Americas

My mouth has been watering for this particular recipe since sometime in November, I kid you not. At the time I was putting off making it until I had a working oven. Then we were busy with the holidays. Then I kind of forgot about it or put it off. This week I decided I had delayed making this delicious dessert for much too long.

Pasta Frola recipe

We made this recipe as representative of the country of Paraguay although a form of the dish is popular in several countries of South America. In my quick research, I found that this dessert is very popular in Argentina, where it may be filled with quince paste or jam, sweet potato jam, or dulce de leche. The recipe is Italian in origin, where the name 'pasta frolla' refers to the crust which is rather like a shortbread cookie. The dish is also popular in Uruguay.

At a church we used to attend, I had a friend who was from Paraguay and it is her recipe that I used.

pasta frola   pasta frola
Pasta Frola
3 cups flour
5 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup margarine or butter
2 eggs, beaten
2-4 tbsp milk
2 cups (approximately) guava jelly

Sift together the dry ingredients. Mix in the butter with a pastry blender. Add the beaten eggs, and the milk as needed to make a soft dough. Roll about 3/4 of the dough into a circle, and save the rest for the top crust. Grease a large cake pan and place the dough in it, so it overlaps on the sides, like a pie crust. Fill with guava jelly. Roll out the rest of the dough, cut it in strips, and lay it on top in a lattice. Fold over the extra dough and crimp edges.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

I prefer Pasta Frola served warm with a cup of coffee.

pasta frola

Thanks again to my friend Kathy for her delicious recipe that gives us a taste of Paraguay and a reminder of good friends.

This post is linked at Try a New Recipe Tuesday, hosted by Lisa at Home to 4 Kiddos

********************************
This post was added to the Throwback Thursday Blog-Style link-up hosted by Tots and Me... Growing Up Together! on February 12, 2016/


Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to Homeschool Coffee Break by Email!

 ©2006-2016 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

kewkew said...

This sounds so good. I am thinking of focusing on South America in our Geography Art Class in co-op next month. This would be great to take in and share.
I would love for you to stop by and share on my weekly recipe linky, Kids and a Mom in the Kitchen http://totsandme.blogspot.com/2014/02/kids-and-mom-in-kitchen-72-rock-cycle.html

Have a great day

kewkew said...

Well, looks like I was here last year and commented. It is a bit scary that I don't remember being here and I don't remember the recipe. But, it still sounds quite yummy! Thanks for stopping by and sharing on Throwback Thursday Blog-Style. Your post is the featured post this week! I can't wait to see what you share this week.

Joanne said...

This looks delicious! We love eating our way around the world as part of our curriculum.

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.