Thursday, January 24, 2008

We'll stick with French fries, thanks.

Yesterday we tried a couple of French food items, with mixed reviews.  At dinner we had a Potato-Cheese Souffle (recipe found in Passport on a Plate), which is a combination of mashed potatoes and cheese souffle.  The mashed potato lovers in our family liked it, although DH mentioned that the texture was not was he was expecting.  True - it LOOKED like a very fluffy souffle, but had the consistency of mashed potatoes, so that was a little different.  Well, I liked it, and may even make it again.  In the evening we tried a baked brie dessert.  My apologies to those that may love it, but we didn't care for it.  I will say I'm glad I didn't read wikipedia's description of it before trying it - an "ammonia" taste?  That doesn't sound appetizing.  LOL   Maybe I should have got the totally plain one - with just the cheese in the brioche crust, but I thought that the dessert version (something like the recipe in the link) would go over better.  Wrong.  (and a rather expensive experiment, unfortunately)  So what do I do with leftover brie??  I might be able to eat another little piece, but it's not going on my favorites list.  LOL  Is a French dip sandwich truly French?  I didn't check the origin of it, but that's what I had ready to throw together for dinner, and we DO like that.  I think our French food choices will continue to be: French fries, French toast, French dip and the like.

Today is the first day of our co-op classes, so I am pulling together a few more things for the Weather class I'm teaching for the 7 to 9 year-olds.  If all goes well, I will post my outlines and reviews of what we're doing here sometime soon.

2 comments:

floridasunsets said...

Oh, and don't forget the French Vanilla Ice Cream! Thanks for sharing your cooking experiment. We just had a similar experience with Mexican cooking, and tonight it a trip to the Islands. Should be interesting at least.

Betty

1Peter1:2b

CrossView said...

"French fries, French toast, French dip..."

Now that's my kind of French cooking! =D


We do try lots of things that we just don't like. But I figure that at least my kids are willing to try! =D

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.