Saturday, September 25, 2010

Weekly Wrap-Up: In Which I Couldn't Think of a Catchy Title

Homeschool: Just continued rolling along this week - it's harder than I expected to get all three kids up and ready for our daily reading. We have decided to adjust bedtimes slightly, and be strict about our lights-out policy, and see if that makes it just a little easier for them to get moving each morning.  Landon is managing to stay just a bit ahead of schedule in his Math and Language Arts, and is getting his Bible lessons done on time.  Kennady is NOT a fan of Math, which we'd already figured out, but that fact was reinforced when it was time to do multiplication review this week.  We had an easy week in Science, just studying the Periodic Table, and yesterday we did an experiment demonstrating conductivity of metals.



In Social Studies, we continued learning about ancient Egypt.  Read a couple of books, watched a DVD about the pyramids (which surprised me by being far more engaging than I'd anticipated! It was hosted by the architect David Macaulay who wrote the books Pyramid, Cathedral, Castle... that show how certain famous ancient buildings are constructed in detail), and studied a little about hieroglyphs and the style of art associated with the ancient Egyptians.  Landon impressed me with his drawing of pyramids - this was one of his first attempts (of which I'm aware) at perspective drawing, and I thought he did a great job.  Personally, I thought it looked better before he colored it, but that was his choice. 8-)



Kennady more enjoyed trying her hand at hieroglyphs and a sketch of an Egyptian cat, that she claims is the "cat of Bubastes" in the title of our read-aloud.



Speaking of the read-aloud, we're only about halfway through, so we I have my work cut out for me if I want to finish reading it to the kids by Friday.  We finally heard mention of the title character (The Cat of Bubastes by G.A. Henty) and in the next chapter the cat is dead! Hope that's not a spoiler for anyone.  LOL  So Kennady was a little frustrated - she's waited for a week for the cat to be mentioned, and then it was immediately killed off.  But I haven't read the book before, so I don't know what will happen or if we'll meet another cat.

We have been attending a co-op class each spring for about 9 years, and this week we had our initial planning meeting to see what classes we'd be offering.  I will be co-teaching a geography/art class with a friend, a class based on ideas from the book Geography Through Art that I've been using at home.  It sounds like there will also be a cooking class and some kind of science class for my kids.

In Other News:  I was able to work on some sewing this week, and on Monday evening I decided to work on cleaning out my side of our closet, which resulted in my collecting four or five bags of clothing to donate and about a dozen pairs of shoes going in the trash.  That's a lot of shoes I'd had taking up room in my closet!  And believe me, I have plenty of shoes left.  =8-O

On the Bookshelf: 

  • The Skin Map by Stephen R. Lawhead

  • The Warrior by Francine Rivers

  • Suspense and Sensibility by Carrie Bebris (finished this one yesterday)

Finished Kilimanjaro and posted about it on Kym's Bookcase.

Visit Canadagirl and/or Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers for other Weekly Wrap-Ups

6 comments:

wdworkman said...

Wonderful Drawings! The Geography/Art class sounds like it could be a lot of fun. You'll have to let us know how it goes.
Janet W
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/wdworkman/

Annie Kate said...

Hi Kym,
Thanks for telling where I could find your blog! If you submit a support ticket for HSB they'll get your blog listed on your profile. I've given your blog a title so I could list it on my sidebar and not forget where you are: Kympossible's Homeschool. I hope you don't mind. :)

I know what you mean about shoes. I'm always trying to dejunk, but our downfall is books. LOL

I love the kids' drawings!

Annie Kate

Stefanie said...

Bummer on the cat. I can see why Kennady is frusterated.

They both have some major drawing skills, I think. Maybe they can give me a lesson?

Margaret said...

Love the drawings!

kympossible said...

It always amuses me to think that I am "teaching" them art. LOL I can't even draw a decent stick figure.

kympossible said...

Thanks for the tip on getting my blog linked to my profile! I thought it was so odd that it wasn't listing my posts or activity there, but haven't had the patience to figure out why.

Oh I have a problem with books too... well, what homeschooler doesn't, right?!

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.