Sunday, October 31, 2010

Weekly Wrap-Up: In Which I Scramble to Post Before a New Week Begins

Homeschool:  We felt like we could afford to take a few days off, and relax a little during this last week of my parents' visit with us.  But we did get some of the basics done, and a little bit of Social Studies and Science.  The highlight of Social Studies was probably the Anzac cookies we baked.  Our discussion of Australia touched briefly on Anzac Day and I mentioned that there were Anzac cookies, so we looked up the recipe.  I had all the ingredients so we gave it a try.  Mmmmm.... they were good!! Everyone liked them, despite the kids' claims that they don't like coconut! 8-)  In Science, we discussed catalysts and inhibitors in chemical reactions.  We dropped a slice of potato into hydrogen peroxide to see a catalyst in action.

   

Then we cut an apple into quarters and brushed two of the pieces with lemon juice and left the other two alone.  This was to see how an inhibitor slows down a reaction.



[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="320" caption="apple without lemon juice, 15 minutes elapsed"][/caption]



[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="320" caption="apple with lemon juice (inhibitor), 15 minutes elapsed"][/caption]

Then, of course, we ate the apple! As I've said before - science is better when it's edible. ;-)
Kennady also worked on her sewing project - here she is with the wall-hanging she was working on almost complete:



The day before Gramma and Papa left, she posed with Gramma holding her finished product.  She drew the design, chose the fabrics and constructed the entire quilted wallhanging by herself!



In Other News:  One of our days off was spent doing a little driving around the area.  We first visited a quilting shop, which delighted Kennady at least as much as it did my mom.  Then we did a little shopping in Hanover, had lunch, and then explored the state park a little.  It was a beautiful fall day, the few pictures I took don't begin to do justice to the gorgeous fall colors against a brilliant blue sky.

                   

On Saturday, my parents headed back home after a wonderful visit with us.  Landon and Kennady had their first play practice for the kids' Christmas production at church.  Harrison invited a few friends over for a bonfire in the evening, and we even had some fireworks.  Today (Sunday) we only had a short time for our lunch and obligatory Sunday naps before heading to Hershey for the hockey game this evening.   So our weekend has been busy!  And now, I probably need to get some sleep, because I will be driving Harrison back to school in the morning and we will have to get up early!

On the Bookshelf:

I finished all three books I had on my shelf last weekend (The Skin Map, The Fire, and Have a New Kid by Friday) and mentioned them on my Bookcase blog.  New books I'm working on are:

  • The Prophet by Francine Rivers

  • The Intrigue at Highbury by Carrie Bebris

  • Surrender the Heart by MaryLu Tyndall

  • Feed Your Family on $12 a Day by Rhonda Barfield

Visit Canadagirl  for other Weekly Wrap-Ups

1 comments:

Jerri said...

Wow, I'm impressed with Kennady's wall hanging! She did a great job!

Love your fall pictures at the state park. That is just the kind of thing that I love to take pictures of!

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.