Saturday, March 26, 2011

Weekly Wrap-Up: In Which I Am Unusually Quiet

Homeschool: If we got behind this week, it was mostly my fault. I got up on Monday morning with my cold (or whatever it was) quite a bit worse than when I'd gone to bed on Sunday night. So I was not in any shape to teach Science or Social Studies. I advised the kids to double up on their Math and Language Arts instead. For the most part, I think they did as I asked, but I'll find out when I sit down to do the grading. (which I still haven't done...)

Day Two of Voiceless Mom meant that Tuesday was much the same. To make matters worse, Kennady and Landon both mentioned having a slight sore throat, which caused me some worry that perhaps they were getting sick too. Fortunately that didn't happen, but in the end I settled for this being a "break week" since my voice was sketchy the whole time and I really didn't feel up to doing much.

On Thursday we were well enough to go to Co-op, to their great relief. And mine. 8-) If I remember correctly, they made pancakes in their cooking class. In Art and Geography, I found barely enough volume with my voice to give a very brief talk to the classes about folk arts and the Pennsylvania Dutch people, and the art project was a Pennsylvania Dutch fraktur. After co-op, Kennady went home with her friend's family for the evening and that mom gave the girls a cake decorating tutorial. Kennady brought home a half-dozen beautifully decorated cupcakes, so I think I'll give her a little extra credit in Home Ec for that. ;-)

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="319" caption="Kennady's fraktur"][/caption]



[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="320" caption="cupcakes!"][/caption]

In Other News: I did go to choir practice on Monday evening, despite being only able to sing at a small fraction of volume. It did nobody any good except myself that I was there. LOL My choir practice being moved to Monday gave me the chance to take Kennady to softball practice on Tuesday, although I just watched from the van and got a little reading done.

On Friday I saw DH off on a business trip, and then returned home to catch up on a little more sleep. In the evening I took Landon and Kennady to a church fellowship, and just as I was arriving back home, I got a phone call from Harrison that he was out on the highway with a flat tire. *sigh* I dropped the kids back at home and went out to help him with the tire. One of his friends that lived nearby came to help as well. I think we should have called AAA right from the start and that would have saved us a lot of trouble and time, because once the tire was changed the battery was dead! And we couldn't find jumper cables in either of our vehicles, and I don't know where they are. At that point I did call AAA and although we had to wait quite awhile for the service truck to arrive, he made quick work of getting the van started up again. I guess on Monday I'll be calling TireMan to see about getting a new tire. *sigh*

I spent most of Saturday at a youth workers conference with our youth pastor and two other volunteer youth leaders. We really enjoyed the keynote speaker, Chap Clark, and got some helpful info from the workshops we attended. I was glad to get home and relax, because I sure didn't get much sleep the night before, with all the vehicle drama!  I hope that I will have a voice for church on Sunday!

On the Bookshelf:

  • Quitting Church by Julia Duin

  • In Search of the Lost Ark of the Covenant by Robert Cornuke and David Halbrook

  • Patrick by Stephen Lawhead

  • Twilight of Avalon by Anna Elliott

There are a couple of books on my stack that I am partway through, but I thought I'd better narrow my focus just a bit.  I'm just about to finish Patrick and I'm near the end of Quitting Church, and then I'll pick up those others again.  And probably another as well.

Parting Shot:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.