Sunday, October 2, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal: In Which We Have Some More Family Time



In our homeschool this week... it was another week of just the basics while we spent time with family.  As usual, Spencer went to chemistry lab on Tuesday morning, and the kids all went to gym class in the afternoon, but other than that the week was gloriously unscheduled.  Kennady completed a sewing project with Gramma, so I can check some Home Ec off her assignment list.  Come Monday, we'll have a look at where everyone is in their schoolwork and get back to a more disciplined routine.



In other news... our week included many trips to local restaurants for coffee breaks or meals, and some shopping trips as well.  Kennady finally got her wish to visit a quilt shop with Gramma and Auntie Alice, and we spent quite a bit of time admiring the quilts and fabrics there.  Papa took Spencer and Landon to the creamery that same day.  We played a lot of games at home - dominoes (Mexican train) and Scrabble being the favorites.



On Saturday it was time for my parents and aunts to catch their train to go back home, so we had another opportunity to drive into Washington DC.  I was extremely grateful that DH was available to do the driving this time! We had Kennady with us, so I gave her my camera and we took a few pictures of DC landmarks through the van windows.



The boys went hiking with some of the youth from church on Saturday.

The weather is definitely cooler now, so much so that I actually wore socks on Saturday evening and a sweatshirt today!

My favorite thing this week was... playing dominoes with the kids and Gramma and Papa.

Questions/thoughts I have... I will need to fine-tune my plans for the co-op class I'll be teaching, and testing some of the activities we'll be doing in the class.  I think I will set a goal of planning and testing a certain amount each week up until Christmas, and hopefully that will help me avoid being rushed and planning it all at the last minute!  We had our final planning meeting on Thursday, and it sounds like another wonderful year at co-op!

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...
I wish I'd found this little write-up on Palestrina a couple weeks ago when we listened to his music.  I found this pretty interesting.  - "Palestrina's Path for Religious Music" at Christianity.com's Church History Timeline.  Sometimes the features from "On This Day in Church History" are very cool.

On the Bookshelf...

  • The Seven Wonders of the World by Ron Tagliapietra

  • The Devil's Queen by Jeanne Kaligordis

  • Already Compromised by Ken Ham and Greg Hall with Britt Beemer

Finished and reviewed Pompeii: City on Fire by TL Higley, reviewed Read For the Heart from last week.

A Parting Shot...



This post is linked to The Homeschool Chick - see what other families have been up to this week!

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.