Sunday, January 13, 2013

Homeschool Mother's Journal: Birthday Without Pictures Edition

In our homeschool... we stepped up the pace a little from last week, but it wasn't really a full schedule week of school.  We had some appointments during the daytimes, and Kennady and I were battling colds.

Landon and Kennady completed a week's worth of history lessons with no problem. One of the things we learned about was the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago during 1893, and some of what the kids were most interested surprised me.  Spencer is nearly finished his Graphic Design course, which means we're on track there - it's a half-credit course that we were planning to have finished in first semester.  We took one day to do a little review in astronomy and got a bit more than halfway through the next chapter in the text.

On Tuesday night, Spencer and I went to a grad ceremony planning meeting. There are still some decisions to be made at the next meeting, and thankfully we have until then to finish getting our pictures for the powerpoint presentation ready!

In other news... The week started with Epiphany on Sunday.  And although all the Christmas decorations didn't come down that day, I did make a cake for Three Kings Day, based on a recipe from Liechtenstein.  The recipe came from the Global Table Adventure blog, and Kennady and I loved it.  The boys aren't big fans of raisins, so their response was less enthusiastic.

CAP and choir started up again this week, but I missed choir due to the grad planning meeting.  Wednesday night programs at church started again as well.

Landon turned 14 this week - his birthday was on Tuesday, but our little celebration wason Friday evening.  We had takeout wings for dinner and Landon had a friend over for the night.

What's working/not working for us... my Kindle Fire is working!  It's very popular! I had to put a lock code on it so kids wouldn't help themselves to it any old time.  LOL  Of course I've been reading, and I've already collected all kinds of books on it - most of them for free! Everyone is having fun with at least one game or app, and Kennady has been doing some reading too.

My camera is not working.  Not because there's anything wrong with the camera (although I am back to keeping the battery case taped shut), but just because I haven't been taking any pictures lately.  Not really sure why, but I'm feeling like a bad mother for not taking even ONE picture of my son's birthday. Oops.

One of my favorite things this week... Harrison getting job interviews!  For a job a lot closer to home which would be so helpful.  We're praying that he gets the job.

A photo/video/quote or link to share...   A couple links I can recommend - if you haven't already found it, the Global Table Adventure blog I mentioned is very cool. This family is 'eating their way around the world' - trying recipes from every country, and the mom shares them on the blog.  The other link I found this week is something for kids. Kennady started on a site called Shidonni that she is enjoying.  It's a site where kids can draw pets or other creations and the site animates them.  It's quite cute and fun!

On the bookshelf...
  • Libriomancer by Jim C Hines
  • The Light of Eidon by Karen Hancock
  • Love's Sacred Song by Mesu Andrews
Finished A Duke's Promise by Jamie Carie.

A parting shot...

This is a vineyard in Liechtenstein - isn't it beautiful?

This post is linked up at iHomeschoolNetwork - see if other homeschoolers remembered to take pictures this week!
undefined

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.