Tuesday, June 12, 2012

P is for... Patriotism

Way back when we started homeschooling, one of the reasons we chose it was that I wanted my kids to learn about and to love our home country, Canada, as well as the United States. I had noticed that many Americans were woefully ignorant of anything outside of their own home state, never mind another country.  Even if that country was their very friendly neighbor to the north!  It's wonderful to learn about all things local, but there are other countries and regions that are worthy of interest too.  To be honest, it gave me a very poor impression of the state of American education when people found out I was from Canada, and they thought it was "that state up north" or acted surprised that Canadians had phones and computers and didn't live in igloos and travel by dogsled.  You think I'm kidding - I assure you, I am not. 

I really wanted my kids to learn about the whole world, including Canada and the USA.  Being a patriotic American who loves their country doesn't mean being ignorant of other parts of the world, or being arrogant and acting superior to others.  Being a patriotic Canadian who loves their homeland doesn't mean hating or resenting Americans and thinking ill of them.  I proudly wave the flag for both nations myself, and we try to teach balanced history of both countries and of world history, but of course since we are all American citizens now, we do have a special focus on understanding American history and government.

Some of my favorite field trips have been the "patriotic" ones.


So far, we've been able to co-exist quite peacefully.
With the possible exception of the last Winter Olympics...  Harrison insisted on cheering for Team USA in hockey.  He is our Canadian-born child too! It ended with Canada winning the gold medal (as it should) and Harrison getting his head shaved. 

Do you have a special place in your heart and homeschool for more than one country? Leave a comment and let me know!


Photobucket

Blogging through the Alphabet is a weekly link-up hosted by "Ben and Me". Please visit to join in and to see what thoughts this week's letter has prompted for other bloggers.


Hip Homeschool Hop Button  

This post is also linked at Hip Homeschool Hop and Back to School Monday.  Please use the links to visit those sites as well!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your post. I think we have such a intwined history with each that it only makes sense to love and teach each others history. I often call Canada "our sister to the North" when I talk to my daughter about it. Thank you again.

Here from the "Hop"

http://www.gardentenders.blogspot.com/

Stefanie said...

Love this post! That is why we use Sonlight. Their focus is definitely on learning about the world God created and not just this country. As wonderful as it might be. lol Most of the time.

I'm going to disregard that last remark about the Olympics because I love you. LOL And I'm cracking up at the thought of all Canadians living in igloos. Or any of them really.

Beth B. said...

My son is currently on a Canada obsession since he discovered the provinces were included in our road atlas. I get quizzed every day to name their capitals.

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.