Sunday, October 27, 2013

Homeschool Mother's Journal: Autumn Days Edition

Not only is this late, it lacks pictures. Ugh. My computer decided to become a pain on Friday night and getting at my pictures is one of the issues. Not having my Homeschool Tracker and a bunch of curriculum items is another.

In our homeschool... Our attempt to get back into a school routine was valiant, but fell a little short of the ideal. But that probably happens almost every week, if I'm honest - do any of us ever attain the ideal school week?

Social Studies - we worked on some review of the geography and history of South America; read more about the Incas and Machu Picchu; and Landon finished up a short report on the country of Peru.

Math - Landon was back at the computer every day, working on Algebra. I am so glad he is liking VideoText Interactive - it is a great fit for him, and I'm hoping that whenever Kennady is ready for it (although that is down the road a bit!), it will be a good fit for her too.  (You can read our review of VideoText Interactive HERE.) Kennady was working with Fred (as in Life of Fred) on fractions this week.

Science - Kennady and I learned about moss animals, water bears, and wheel animals. It turned out to be more interesting than Kennady had thought! Landon worked on lesson material from Supercharged Science.

Music/Art - We ran into a bit of a snag with Kennady's art book, because I can't find the foil engraving/scratch art pages that are blank. I am pretty sure such a thing exists, just not at our local Michael's. LOL She did have some fun working on the pre-printed projects, even though that's not quite what she was supposed to be doing. I guess she may have to do the alternate project for that lesson, which uses pencil.

In other news... we're back in full swing with all the activities that usually keep us busy through the week - Civil Air Patrol, choir practices, gym class, youth activities, and music lessons and practices. In addition to all of that, I went to our homeschool group mom's night out on Monday and to the group's new member social on Friday. On Saturday morning, Landon was at the church helping to paint the youth center, and DH and I were driving to the city to pick up our church orders for the food ministry we are heading up. In the afternoon, Kennady was at an extra practice for her choir, and I was very glad that we could call upon Harrison to drive her there, because we didn't get back from DC in time to do it ourselves!

To our dismay, our computer decided to randomly not allow us access to the main admin user account starting Friday night! We're confident that it's not a virus or anything of that nature, but until we figure out the fix, we can't access the files and photos (including my Homeschool Tracker and a lot of my curriculum files!! Gaaaaah!) on that user account. *sigh* As far as I can tell, it should be fixable, but I think we might feel better having someone who actually knows what they're doing tackle the code, or we may mess things up worse.

One of my favorite things this week... beautiful autumn weather. The days are cool but not cold, the nights are crisp and clear, and I get to enjoy seeing the fog most mornings. For some reason, I love the look of a misty or foggy morning (unless I'm driving! LOL). And then add the colorful leaves and the smell of a woodfire.... Lovin' it.

Things I'm working on... fixing my computer...

My posts this week included:
A link to share... this hard-hitting article was shared with me on Facebook, and I am passing it along. I realize that most of my readers are homeschoolers, and this is preaching to the choir, but this article outlines what is wrong with public school institutions and why more people are getting out of the system: Break Up With the Public School by Elizabeth Cameron

On the bookshelf...
  • Cry of the Peacock V.R. Christensen
  • Worship on Earth as it is in Heaven - Rory Noland
  • At Home in Dogwood Mudhole - Franklin Sanders
  • The White Princess - Philippa Gregory
Got a little catching up done on my book blog, and wrote about some of the recent reads: Liberty Hill by Sonia Heisinger, A Spear of Summer Grass by Deanna Raybourn, Hope by Lori Copeland, and The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory. More to come!

A parting shot...


http://bit.ly/14VJ0MF



This post is linked at SoYouCallYourselfaHomeschooler.com, at Hammock Tracks, and at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers - see what the autumn days looked like for other homeschoolers this week.

Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to Homeschool Coffee Break by Email!

 ©2006-2013 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.