Friday, May 9, 2008

BFS Assignment #26/Show & Tell {Favorite Travels}

Since I am pressed for time, and behind with blogging yet again, I am combining my BFS assignment with my Show & Tell entry for this week!!  The link for Blogger Friend School is below - be sure to visit for other assignments about our homeschool travels.  To participate in Show & Tell, visit CanadaGirl



 


This is the assignment Nancy has shared with us for this week:  This week we're going to reminisce on our Favorite Travels!  I had three requests to do something about favorite field trips, favorite vacations, or just favorite places to go as a family or with other homeschool families.  I combined those three requests and came up with Favorite Travels! Do you have a favorite travel prayer that the children recite or a favorite verse you can add?  That would be fun too.  Don't you just LOVE the graphic for this assignment...it's thanks to someone on Fliker (not sure that's spelled right), there was no name to give thanks to.  Please share pictures or a direct link to them if you have any!
I love sunshine faces!


I will have a hard time narrowing this down!!  First, I'm going to provide a link back to my own blog entry when I entered a drawing based on "the most memorable field trip"  (guess what - I won!!).  I listed several great trips that our family has experienced, including:



A church-sponsored field trip to Hope Acres (a dairy farm)  (my blog entry about it is here.)


We live close enough to Gettysburg that we can visit Gettysburg National Military Park often, and we do.


On vacations, we have enjoyed some great "field trips" - we have been to Taliesin in Wisconsin.  I blogged a little about it here.



We have also visited The World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta, which I definitely counted as a history lesson!  Our family loves to visit Disney World, although we haven't been as often as we would all like.  Our family vacation to Alberta, Canada this past November gave us the chance to spend a day in Banff National Park, which was very educational as well as being lots of fun!  I blogged about that day in three separate entries.



I was able to take my oldest two boys on an all-day field trip to Philadelphia.  Another three part report.  We saw the historic city...



...and the Franklin Institute, which was featuring the King Tut exhibit at the time:



But I still think our most memorable field trip was the weekend camping trip at Camp Flintlock near Historic St Mary's City, Maryland.  DH and I took the boys on this trip with other homeschool families several years ago and it is a favorite memory of ours.  DH has talked about possibly doing this encampment weekend with the mens group from church, and if the opportunity comes up for us to do it as a family again, I'm sure that we will.  If you really want to read my entire post about it, follow that "most memorable field trip" link - but here is a little bit of that post, and one of the pictures:


A group from our homeschool fellowship went together to experience a little bit of life as it might have been in colonial and revolutionary war times.  We slept in tents with straw ticks under our sleeping bags, dressed in period clothes, were awakened by drum call, gathered firewood and hauled water, cooked over an open fire, made crafts, played colonial games, and we even learned how to throw a tomahawk and shoot a musket! 


Here's our family portrait, taken in front of the tent we called home for two nights:



 "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path"


~Psalm 119:105


 

5 comments:

Canadagirl said...

Ohhhh what fun. I just LOVED how you put it all in ONE post. I am going to have to spend some time reading all those posts. Thank you so much for sharing this. I love these kinds of Show and Tells !!!


I really enjoyed hearing about how you all got to experience the living like the Colonials. [0=


Blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC

In Him<><

-Mary

MayTheyBeMightyMen said...

Oh, these are awesome trips! :'D I get the feeling my family and I need to get out more. ;')


Have blessed Mother's Day! :'D

blessedwith2angels said...

Those look like wonderful field trips. That's what I love about homeschooling--you can do all kinds of neat trips.

Have you been to the coke museum since the new one was opened? I haven't got to go yet, but am hoping to take the kids this summer while my hubby is working in Atlanta.

Have a wonderful Mother's Day,

Pam

Keri said...

Wow...you get around!

Most of our trips our close to where we live!

Anonymous said...

i loved the coke museum! a friend and i were on a missions trip in Griffin, GA as a teaching experience and decided to check it out. it was incredible! i enjoyed learning that you and your family were once there, too.

blessings,

ayla irons

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.