Thursday, February 5, 2009

Homeschool Memoirs #24 {Reading List}


 


Reading always improves your mind and knowledge of things of the past, present, and your opinion and views on the future. It’s essential to a proper education. I have never enjoyed reading as much as I should have, but as of late taken it’s been taking up some of my time.



THEME



I know many of you either have a long list of books yourself or have one for the children for schooling. Please share your lists of reading material for this year. You can put them in any way you like - by genre, age, author, fiction, subject. You can also share your list from last year.
********************************


I am doing this theme very late, but I'm trying to get back into the blog habit and I love to read, so I was determined to get in on it.  LOL  At some point last year I did start keeping track (or trying to) of what I was reading on Shelfari.  I like having that "bookshelf" but I don't really participate in any groups or discussions of books there.  At about the same time, I started a second blog here - Kym's Bookcase - so I could write a few thoughts about the books.  Please feel free to visit if you'd like!


 


I thought maybe I could post a copy of my widget or book list from shelfari here but that didn't seem to work, so here instead is a list of what I read in 2008, as far as I can remember!


 


Non-fiction



  • Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith and Love by Dava Sobel

  • How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else by Michael Gates Gill

  • Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil by Deborah Rodriquez, Kristin Ohlson

  • The Shipwreck that Saved Jamestown: The Sea Venture Castaways and the Fate of America by Lorri Glover, Daniel Blake Smith

  • Save Me From Myself: How I Found God, Quit Korn, Kicked Drugs and Lived to Tell My Story by Brian "Head" Welch

  • Were They Wise Men or Kings? The Book of Christmas Questions by Joseph J. Walsh

  • Organizing for your Brain Type: Finding Your Own Solution to Managing Time, Paper, and Stuff by Laura Nakone


Fiction



  • Emerald Magic - Great Tales of Irish Fantasy

  • The Legend of the Firefish (Trophy Chase Trilogy #1) by George Bryan Polivka

  • The Hand that Bears the Sword (Trophy Chase Trilogy #2) by George Bryan Polivka

  • Isle of Swords by Wayne Thomas Batson

  • Taliesin (Pendragon Cycle #1) by Stephen R Lawhead

  • Merlin (Pendragon Cycle #2) by Stephen R Lawhead

  • Arthur (Pendragon Cycle #3) by Stephen R Lawhead

  • Pendragon (Pendragon Cycle #4) by Stephen R Lawhead

  • The High House by James Stoddard

  • The False House by James Stoddard

  • Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn

  • Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevaier

  • A Daughter's Inheritance (Broadmoor Legacy #1) by Tracie Peterson, Judith Miller

  • The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

  • The Redemption (Legacy of the King's Pirates #1) by M.L. Tyndall

  • The Reliance (Legacy of the King's Pirates #2) by M.L. Tyndall

  • The Restitution (Legacy of the King's Pirates #3) by M.L. Tyndall

  • The Falcon and the Sparrow by M.L. Tyndall

  • A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

  • Water for Elephants- A Novel by Sara Gruen

  • Dracula by Bram Stoker

  • Crown of Fire (Thistle and the Cross #1) by Craig Parshall, Janet Parshall

  • Bachelor's Puzzle (Patchwork Circle #1) by Judith Pella

  • Sister's Choice (Patchwork Circle #2) by Judith Pella

  • The Gigantic Book of Pirate Stories


Read-aloud with the Kids



  • The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

  • The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis

  • Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis

  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

  • The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

  • The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis

  • Daniel Boone - and How Early Americans Took to the Road by Cheryl Harness


On my bedside table right now are the next in some of the series I had been reading through, and I am currently reading a biography of Daniel Boone and the novel Love in the Time of Cholera

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.