Saturday, September 3, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal: In Which We Aim to Please

In our homeschool this week... I made a few adjustments on Monday - put off starting Spencer's history course for at least a week, until I can get the quiz book; and put off starting Landon and Kennady's music study as well.  I had some music to find for us to listen to, and that took longer than I expected. At first I thought we could get it done on Friday, but then decided that starting next week makes just as much sense.  Other than that last minute change, our Monday went well.   The weather was lovely, so we even got outside to do a science project observing an small area of our backyard ecosystem.  And since my hubby reminded us, Kennady even had a piano lesson.

Kennady did a 3-day archery camp Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and that was her schoolday.  Landon and Spencer worked on their own on math, language arts, and Bible.  So far, it seems like everyone is coming along just fine, but the real test comes on Tuesday when we have all subjects going for everyone!







In other news... While Kennady was at archery camp, I had coffee with a friend, checked in with the eye doctor, bought groceries, ran errands, picked up books, attended the Wednesday morning prayer group, picked up and delivered Landon's friends before and after our sleepover...  Those three days were filled with running around, so they weren't exactly relaxing!

On Thursday evening, I allowed myself to get talked into attending one of those sales presentations for a vacation ownership package (more commonly known as timeshares).  The package was great and another time, another place, we might have done it.  The presentation was mostly good, but  it was
WAY

TOO

LONG.

It just was.  I've got our lovely parting gifts, and said NO to anything further.  Despite their claims that it's not high-pressure sales, it is.  It's really polite and nice, but believe me, the pressure is still there, and lots of it.

We had more vehicle repairs this week too.  The van finally got some needed work done so that the road noise is reduced, and both vehicles have had air-conditioning issues that we are dealing with.

Today Landon went to play paintball with a friend for the entire afternoon.

My favorite thing this week was... finishing the Jane Austen canon!  That gave me a great feeling of accomplishment.  Also - thanks to the kind folks here at HSB, I was finally able to import some older posts to my other blog here, Just A Second!

What's working/not working for us... time management.  Boy, I struggle with this.  I didn't do a good job of it this past week, and the pressure is on for next week!

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have... How am I going to pull it off on Tuesdays???  Spencer has chemistry lab in the morning, all three kids have gym class in the afternoon, and I have choir practice in the evenings.  That's three separate trips to town.  Ugh.  I hope that if I plan properly, those can be the ONLY trips I make to town on a regular basis.  They would just be all on one day instead of three separate days.  Maybe.  And sort of related... I have my first couple of TOS Crew Reviews coming due shortly and I am starting to get anxious about getting them done and done right.  I wish I had more time! LOL

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...
Practical Pages - great blog, and on this page she offers lots of art lesson ideas, including links to free printables

Chemicool - interactive periodic table

On the Bookshelf...

  • Already Gone by Ken Ham and Britt Beemer

  • Read for the Heart by Sarah Clarkson

  • Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran

  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Finished Persuasion by Jane Austen, and Miniatures and Morals: the Christian Novels of Jane Austen by Peter Leithart

A Parting Shot

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="243" caption="first page of our yearbook - logo hand-rendered by Spencer"][/caption]

This post is linked to The Homeschool Chick - see what others were aiming at this week!

The Homeschool Mother's Journal



1 comments:

Becca said...

I like the logo! I think my 9YO would love to design a cover for us. Will have to think about doing a year book.

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.