Saturday, October 29, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal: In Which Winter Arrives Early

In our homeschool this week... On Monday I was suggesting some books for possible read-alouds with Landon and Kennady and we were trying to decide what to read next. Kennady said, totally seriously, "bring the books over here so I can see the covers. I always judge a book by its cover."  Well, with a start like that, it had to be a good week, right?  We tried the first chapter of The Sword in the Stone later that day, and then the first chapter of The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde later in the week, and decided that we would far rather read Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.  (All our reading for the week is in this post.)

We also read about modern-day Italy, studied beach and estuary ecosystems, discussed Classical music and the history of various instruments.  Landon and Kennady both read a graphic novel telling the story of King Arthur and his knights of the Round Table.  We started our study of the Middle Ages.  They worked on Math and Language Arts. Spencer worked on chemistry, art, history, English, and geometry.  Everyone attended gym class on Tuesday.

And everyone slept in on Wednesday, including me!  But other than that, we had a decent week, and as the end of the first quarter nears, I think we are doing okay.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="320" caption="blue colored fresh water floats on top of salt water before mixing   "][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="320" caption="green colored saltwater mixes more readily with the fresh water"][/caption]

In other news... DH was out of town the first half of the week, and that may explain why even I didn't get up on time on Wednesday!  I went to pick him up from the airport on Wednesday evening, so I missed our usual church activities that night.  The youth had a party and encouraged costumes.  Landon got a prize for his 80's Guy get-up, and I think Kennady received a sort of consolation prize.  She assumed that the kids could dress up as well, but she was the only one who did!  It didn't seem to bother her at all though.  I thought her 70's Hippie costume was pretty cute, and suited her!



The cat learned an annoying new trick this week.  He can get into the drop ceiling in the basement! We're not even sure how.  Or why.  I suspected/feared mice, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  At any rate, we don't really care for him being up there, so until we figure out a solution, we have to keep the door to the basement closed.  And due to the cat's great love of chewing greenery and plants, I have to keep my fresh floral arrangements (gifts from Harrison's girlfriend) in a closed room too, unless I or someone else is there to make sure they aren't being nibbled on!  Our house is become a temporary maze of closed doors.  *sigh*  DH sealed up the openings to the drop ceiling - at least temporarily - today so hopefully that will help!

This weekend we're getting some snow!! Crazy.  There was a church work day scheduled for today, but it was postponed.  The snow is beautiful, if a few weeks (at least!) earlier than we usually get it!

My favorite thing this week was... Kennady got the solo she was hoping for in the kids' Christmas play.

What's working/not working for us...  Thankfully, Math Mammoth is working!!  I'll be reviewing it in a couple weeks, so check back to hear more!

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="320" caption="Kennady checks an answer using the calculator"][/caption]

Questions/thoughts I have... Should we build a rice krispie treat model of Stonehenge tomorrow or wait till next week?  And once we build it, how long should we wait before eating it?

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...
Oh, the weather outside is frightful...Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

On the Bookshelf...

  • Already Compromised by Ken Ham and Greg Hall with Britt Beemer

  • In the Shadow of the Sun King by Golden Keyes Parsons

  • Cleopatra: Last of the Egyptian Queens by Joyce Tyldesley

  • The Deception at Lyme by Carrie Bebris

Finished and reviewed Guardian of the Flame by T.L. Higley

A Parting Shot...



This post is linked to The Homeschool Chick - See what seasonal activities other homeschoolers are enjoying!

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

7 comments:

Jessy at Our Side of the Mountain said...

No! No "Let it Snow"! LOL

Great costumes! They did an awesome job putting those together.

I wish I had a SLEEP IN morning! Perhaps tomorrow?

Annie Kate said...

I love the costumes, and I wish I could manage to sleep in.... It sounds like your school is going well! :)

What do you think of Already Compromised?

Annie Kate

kympossible said...

I don't want to say I'm "enjoying" Already Compromised, because it's sobering material. But I think it's important information, and should be read by as many Christians as possible! When I read Already Gone, I said I believed that should be required reading for every Christian parent, pastor, youth leader, and Sunday School teacher.

Jennifer said...

To build or not to build? We usually save the edible art for my husband to see, then they enjoy eating it. Sounds like a great week. I love the rare chance to sleep in.

Mary said...

Love the costumes!

Giggly Girls said...

We made Stonehenge out of brownies. It sat there long enough to take a few photos and then it mysteriously disappeared. lol

Tess said...

I'm pretty sure that if we built a Rice Crispy Treat *anything* we would be eating it as soon as I was done taking pictures! Great pics of the costumes!

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.