Thursday, August 16, 2012

Think Back Thursday: Wind/Air

I wasn't too hopeful that I would find pictures to share that showed wind or air for this week's Think Back Thursday theme.  After all, who has seen the wind?  But once I got started looking through some older pictures, I got a couple of ideas.

First, something pretty cool, and sort of educational.  Growing up in Calgary, Alberta, I took it for granted that we'd get at least a couple of decent chinooks every winter.  At some point I realized that chinooks were somewhat unique to our location, but even into my late teens I was always surprised to encounter people who looked completely blank when the word chinook was mentioned.  You almost have to experience a good one to have a real appreciation for it.  A chinook is a warm, dry wind that blows down a mountain.  A strong chinook can bring about a rise in temperature of as much as 50*F in less than an hour! And believe me, that can be most welcome in the middle of a hard winter!  It's not always that dramatic, of course, but it's a noticeable warming trend that gives folks a comfortable break from bitter cold.  (You can read a little more about the chinook winds at How Stuff Works: Chinook.)  Well, living near the east coast as we do, my kids have had little chance to experience a chinook, so on a winter visit back home in 2007 I was overjoyed when a chinook arrived while we were there, and I made sure to take a picture of the distinctive 'chinook arch' - the cloud formation that foretells the arrival of the warm wind.  I'm only disappointed that I had to get the picture in town where the houses blocked part of the view.

chinook arch in Airdrie, Alberta
A chinook memory that I don't have a picture of - when the Winter Olympics were held in Calgary in 1988, a dramatic chinook arrived a couple days after the games opened.  It was about 30 below the day of the Opening Ceremonies, and I know this because I was IN the Opening Ceremonies and felt that cold!  After the chinook, my hubby and I took the bus to an Olympic hockey game without even wearing jackets.  That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!

The other wind/air memory I found was our visit to the College Park Aviation Museum in 2005.  Aviation is pretty reliant on wind and air, after all.  So here are a few pictures.

full size reproduction of the 1910 Wright Model B

Harrison and Spencer try out the controls in a small aircraft.
This is a very hands-on museum! Great for kids, and I highly recommend it.

Kennady tried on the aviators uniform.

so did Landon.  His goggles are a little off, but he rocks the look! LOL
In the large kids area, we found this activity to demonstrate how air has force and can provide lift.  At first, it was truly educational...


But predictably, the wind was turned to objects other than the little beach balls...


and from there, it was only a matter of time, till someone (trust Harrison!) thought of doing this!


Is it any wonder they act like this, when their mother still giggles like a little kid at the high speed hand-dryers in public washrooms? LOL

Visit Debbie's Digest to join in with Think Back Thursday, and to see what other bloggers are sharing for this week's theme.  Next week's theme will be Rock, and the following week will be Night. 

Think Back Thursday is a photo meme that encourages sharing something from the past.  It is hosted by Debbie's Digest.  You can find out more about it, and how you can participate, by clicking the link or the button below.  

1 comments:

Debbie Phillips said...

I love it. I am soooo glad someone found air/wind pictures besides me. This was a tough theme. I love your pictures. I have never been in a place that had chinook winds and weather. That is neat.

I also loved the photos at the aviation museum. I didn't even think about something like that. I have pictures of my kids using "wings" in this big air machine at the Franklin Institute. I also loved that they interacted with the hands-on activities and made them their own.

Great job. Great photos. I love to see families "playing" together.

If you schedule posts for the next 2 weeks I will come and check out your blog and add your link myself if you want. Just let me know. I understand if you don't, cause vacation is vacation and you need to get away with your family, but if you have time to get the posts ready and want me to link them up for you, just let me know.

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.