Friday, December 21, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal: In Which I am in a Holiday Rush


In our homeschool... we did get some schoolwork done this week, but most of the time it took a back seat to holiday activities and preparation for our Christmas trip to visit family.  I encouraged the kids to work on their own, and concentrate on catching up in anything where they might be falling behind.

Landon and Kennady finished the final lesson in the History unit we'd been working on, which puts us just past the halfway point in the course.  And with a few weeks left in the semester too!  We did finish reading Little Town on the Prairie since I didn't want to stop it in the middle of the book and try to pick up when we come back from break.  Or take it along thinking we might finish it on vacation.

The kids had their last gym class of the semester too, and we're not planning to do spring semester of gym, since we'll be doing co-op classes for most of that time.

In other news... On Sunday evening we got to see Kennady in the kids Christmas play at church.  Of course she was completely wonderful, and I'm not biased at all! LOL  Seriously, all the kids did a fantastic job.


It was a week of holiday parties - DH and I went to the church staff party on Monday night (DH is on the Board), I took Landon to the CAP party on Tuesday night, Wednesday night was the youth Christmas party at church, and Thursday was DH's work party at lunchtime.

Other than that, we wrote Christmas cards, baked, cleaned, and prepared for our Christmas vacation.  Our scheduled departure time changed a couple of times during the week, but as of now, we are leaving earlier today than originally planned, so I am in a rush to get everything done.  This post is the last few minutes of my coffee break.  LOL

Helpful homeschooling tips/advice to share... don't plan on taking "homework" along on vacations.  In my experience, that usually doesn't work out that well. ;-)

One of my favorite things this week... loading up my new Kindle Fire with all kinds of books!

A photo/video/quote or link to share... This week I came across a page called "Reuse of Books = Art" on the website Inspiration Green.  Check out the whole page - it is pretty neat!  This is one of my favorites, but it was hard to pick just one!



On the bookshelf...

  • King Alfred's English by Laurie J White
  • Sarai: A Novel by Jill Eileen Smith
  • Veil of Pearl by MaryLu Tyndall
  • Nefertiti by Michelle Moran
Finished Death in the Floating City by Tasha Alexander.  And I have a wonderful pile of books, both "real books" and e-books to read over the holiday!

A parting shot...

This post is linked up at iHomeschoolNetwork - see if other homeschoolers had to rush this week too!
undefined

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks like you all had a busy fun week! Great tip - I have fallen into that trap many times as a student - just face it, you're traveling on break...you're not going to do work! ;)Merry Christmas fellow coffee-lover!! :)

Tonia said...

We didn't even attempt to get any school done this week! Busy with baking and Christmas prep too.

I love the book wall - that is so cool!

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.