Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Maple BBQ Cupcakes {Try a New Recipe Tuesday}


Barbecue Cupcakes? Yes. It sounds strange, but if you're borderline obsessed with barbecue like we are, you can't help but be curious about it. I saw the recipe mentioned on the Cupcake Project blog about a week ago and made sure to bookmark it. We had company for dinner yesterday, and with smoked pulled pork on our menu, it seemed the perfect opportunity to try these cupcakes.

Here's the link to the original recipe at Tidymom.net - Barbecue Maple Syrup Cupcake Recipe and a copy of the picture from there that I pinned. Doesn't it look yummy? Isn't it intriguing?

You will have to click the link to get the recipe, because honestly I didn't change or tweak anything. I did it just like the recipe said, which is a little unusual for me. And I don't want to violate any copyrights either. I used Sweet Baby Ray barbecue sauce in my recipe. The original says it makes 18 cupcakes, but I got 20 out of it. And since I didn't want that huge stack of frosting on the top (let me clarify - I've got nothing against frosting, in fact I would probably eat frosting for dinner if I could - I didn't have the patience or skillz to pipe the frosting on the cupcakes so it would look pretty) I made only a half batch of the Maple Buttercream Frosting. But it was plenty. Here are my less gorgeous, but I think extremely tasty cupcakes.
Everyone liked them. We thought the taste and texture a little reminiscent of carrot or pumpkin cake. I don't think you'd realize it was barbecue sauce that gives the flavor. There's a hint of smoky flavor, and the maple flavor isn't overpowering either. If you're looking for something a little unusual, give it a try!

This post is linked at Home to 4 Kiddos for Try a New Recipe Tuesday.

Update: This post is linked to the Fresh Summer Recipes Round-up at the Schoolhouse Review Crew blog.
Favorite Curriculum Choices

©2006-2013 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.