Sunday, June 16, 2013

M is for... Mission Statement

At the beginning of this week, I read a great post from a fellow Crew blogger about her family's Homeschool Mission Statement. I loved the statement they came up with and since I'd been kind of thinking about writing something for M about our mission in home educating, it helped me figure out what I wanted to share here.
(The post that inspired me is at Lextin Academy and is worth reading!)

We have not formalized a mission statement for our homeschool, but I'd summarize it very quickly by saying we believe God has given us the responsibility to disciple and educate the children he has blessed us with, bringing them up in the way they should go. And while the three R's are undoubtedly essential, and a well-rounded education in all kinds of subjects is an important goal, we also believe that the best preparation for life is the wisdom that comes from God and a firm grounding in faith.

I think that if we are to talk about God, what he has done for us, and how he wants us to live as consistently and as often as Scripture suggests, we need to have our children with us. So Deuteronomy 6:4-7 has been foundational to our homeschool.

 A number of years ago, the lady who was then the director of our homeschool group spoke about how she chose a Scripture for their own homeschool each year. I thought that was a great idea and started doing it myself. These are some of the verses that have been "our" Scripture for our homeschool. It appears on the homepage of my Homeschool Tracker and on the report cards and many of the other forms I print for us.





Psalm 90:12 was our verse for the 2012-2013 school year.

As I start lesson planning and scheduling for the upcoming school year, I will be thinking and praying about which Scripture should be on our minds in our homeschool in 2013-2014.

Do you have a mission statement or a "School Year Scripture" for your homeschool? Leave a comment and let me know!

Please visit Ben and Me: M is for Meal Planning to join in and to see what thoughts this week's letter has prompted for other bloggers.
Blogging Through the Alphabet
©2006-2013 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.