Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Eating the Americas: Coca-cola Rice

We only tried a couple of dishes on our Eating the Americas tour during the last week, and I have a feeling we won't try anything this week, since we're getting ready for vacation. The recipe that I did try, which is from the country of Colombia, received mixed reviews from the family. I really liked it, and a couple of others were totally okay with it, and nobody disliked it. The fact is that I am the only one in the family that genuinely loves rice. So I have to take that into consideration, and not serve rice more than once a week at most, and not take it personally when I don't get rave reviews for rice dishes. That said, if you and your family do like rice, you may find this slightly sweet side dish an interesting complement to a spicy meat dish, as it's often served in Colombia. At least according to Global Table Adventure, where I found the recipe.
Arroz con Cola (Coca Cola Rice)
olive oil
small onion, chopped
1 cup rice
1 cup broth or water
1 cup cola
salt and pepper

Heat a little olive oil and saute chopped onion for a few minutes, until soft. (I left out the onion since I didn't have one the day i made this.) Then add the rice; stir and cook another few minutes, until the rice is hot. Add chicken stock or broth (or water). Slowly add the cola - slowly, because it will fizz up! Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 16 minutes. Remove from heat and let the rice sit for a few minutes, covered. Remove the lid and let it sit for another couple minutes before fluffing with a fork and serving hot. Yummm!!!

Who would have thought that Coca-cola would go so well with rice?! And I just noticed how nicely I placed the Coca-cola branding on my dinnerware in my picture. Believe it or not, I did not plan that. I just snapped a picture of the dollop of tasty rice on my plate. I love it when a plan comes together!

This post is linked at Try a New Recipe Tuesday, hosted by Lisa at Home to 4 Kiddos.

********************************
This post was added to the Throwback Thursday Blog-Style link-up hosted by Tots and Me... Growing Up Together! on September 24, 2015


Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to Homeschool Coffee Break by Email!

 ©2006-2013 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.