Wednesday, February 12, 2014

My Favorite Blankets: Flour Sack Quilts

Flour Sack Quilts
My collection of quilted bedspreads are treasured by me for several reasons. First, they are beautiful! I love quilts, and each of these has its own charm in the simple patterns and colors. This one was made by my aunts for my wedding gift.
quilts
Second, they are pieces of history. Back in the 1930s and 1940s, flour and feed were often sold in fabric bags. Frugal housewives kept the printed fabrics and sewed them into aprons, clothing, curtains, rugs, dishtowels, pillows, and more. Sometimes the fabric made its way into a quilt immediately, but often it was put into the scrap bag after it had served as an apron or a skirt first, and then sewn into a scrap quilt.

And third, these quilts are full of memories of my family. My grandma kept one of these collections of flour sack fabrics, and she incorporated many of them into quilts. I remember the aprons my grandma wore, and realized only in recent years that they were made out of flour sacks. My aunts say they remember having dresses sewn from flour sacks. The printed fabrics in these particular quilts came from my Grandma's collection of feed sacks dating from the 1930s and 1940s. My aunts did the work of transforming the fabric into quilts so every family member could have at least one quilt.
quilts

flour sack quilt

flour sack quilt

flour sack quilt

flour sack quilt

flour sack quilt

flour sack quilt label
Designed & Quilted by Alice and Linda ------. 2005-2006
For Kym ----- ---------
Prints are feed sacks used in 1930s and 1940s, collected by our
mother, Elisabeth -------- ---------

Related posts from my archives:
Virtual Refrigerator: Quilting
Show and Tell - Flour Sack Quilts
Show and Tell - My favorite quilt

This post is linked up at Circling Through This Life for the 52 Favorite Anything series.
Circling Through This Life

Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to Homeschool Coffee Break by Email!

 ©2006-2014 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

1 comments:

Joanne said...

Those are gorgeous quilts!!!

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.