- very clear instructions, with plenty of information about the properties of the materials to be used
- Kennady really enjoyed doing the projects, and especially liked the freedom she had to figure out the elements of her architectural model the way she wanted them to look, combining the use of templates and detailed instruction from the book and construction ideas of her own.
- thorough and comprehensive art instruction that doesn't require the parent to have all the skills and knowledge to figure it out - all the instruction is in the book!
- the student works at their own pace, and in this particular book, the units can be done in any order.
- ARTistic Pursuits invites students to submit their artwork for display in their online student gallery. I believe that it's very encouraging for students to see the artwork of others in their age range. It challenges them to produce their own best work, and it gives them a realistic view of what kids their age can do, rather than only measuring their work against that of the great masters. It's also a motivator - we submitted a picture of Kennady's architectural model and look forward to seeing it featured in the gallery later this year after the next update!
- you may or may not be able to find all the materials and tools in your local arts and crafts store. We had pretty good luck finding supplies for all the units except paper-making. However, I spent way too much time searching the store, and then staring in confusion at the wire wondering if I was getting the right thing, etc. It's arguably more convenient (and less confusing!) to purchase the Art Supply Packs online. Go to the Art Supply Packs page on the ARTistic Pursuits website for instructions on finding the correct list of supplies to purchase from the Blick Art Materials website. I didn't take advantage of this, but in hindsight I wish I had!
Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to Homeschool Coffee Break by Email!
©2006-2014 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/