Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Koru Naturals - A Schoolhouse Crew Review


Koru Naturals - A Homeschool Coffee Break Review for the Schoolhouse Review Crew @ kympossibleblog.blogspot.com

Can you believe it?! I got to review products from Koru Naturals again, twice in one Crew year! This time we all received Skin Clear Cream and Manuka Honey Propolis Soap; and I was one of the reviewers trying Emu Oil and Blue Tansy Oil Cream

Koru Naturals Review

Koru Naturals brings health and beauty products containing the natural ingredients long used by the people of New Zealand to us in America. Manuka honey, manuka oil, lanolin, tea tree oil, and emu oil are some of the main ingredients in these products for skin care, general health and well-being. The company name, and their symbol comes from the Maori name of "koru" given to the unfurling fern frond that represents new life, growth, strength, and peace. It's an image found often in Maori carving. By the way, none of these products are tested on animals.

 Koru Naturals Review

I was one of the handful of reviewers that tried the Emu Oil and Blue Tansy Oil Cream. It's a non-greasy topical cream that comes in a 4-ounce jar, and recommended for relief of minor pain in back, neck, knees, hips, shoulders, and other joints. The deep penetrating and soothing cream contains the active ingredients emu oil, blue tansy, arnica oil, MSM, and aloe vera.

Well, I guess I'm getting old enough that I have some of those minor aches and pains in some of my joints, and particularly in my knees and ankles, so I've been trying to remember to give myself a little bit of a massage with this cream. And y'know, I really think it is helping. I've sometimes been rubbing it into my lower back as well, and when I remember to do it regularly, I feel better.

  • although it is said to be odorless, it does have a very light scent. I like that it doesn't smell like I've doused myself with the medicine cabinet!
  • it is soothing, and rubs in easily without feeling greasy, but it doesn't have that cold/hot sensation that many muscle rubs have.
  • it's recommended to avoid use of this product during pregnancy.

All the Crew reviewers received Manuka Honey Propolis Soap and Skin Clear Cream. I love both of these, and in fact the Skin Clear Cream is one of those amazing products that I truly wish I'd found years ago! That's a little teaser, because I'm going to talk about the Manuka Honey Propolis Soap first - I decided to save my favorite for last in this review!

 Koru Naturals Review

The 4.93 ounce bar of Manuka Honey Propolis Soap is a gentle cleansing bar soap made from a combination of manuka honey and propolis. I didn't know exactly what propolis was, other than it did come from bees, so in case you're also wondering - it's sort of a resin that bees make to cover their hives, a combination of the sap from evergreen needles and beeswax. It was used by ancient Greeks and Assyrians to treat wounds and infections. Manuka honey comes from the manuka trees in New Zealand and is high in anti-oxidants and has anti-bacterial properties. This soap combines the two and is a wonderful moisturizing body soap.

Koru Naturals - A Homeschool Coffee Break Review for the Schoolhouse Review Crew @ kympossibleblog.blogspot.com

I love this soap, and that's actually high praise, because I'm generally not a big fan of bar soaps. This one has a great creamy lather, rinses clean, and I especially like the scent. It's light and does smell like honey, although to me it also has a hint of a licorice smell.
  • my husband has used this soap as well, and we agree that the scent is not "girly" or strong, so men or women could use this soap.

 Koru Naturals Review

Okay, time to tell you all how much I love the Skin Clear Cream - this is one of those products that makes me say, "shut up and take my money!" I love it that much. For me, this was the star of the trio of products I tried. It comes in a 4 ounce jar, and a little goes a long way. The basic ingredients are raw, unpasteurized manuka honey (there's that anti-bacterial honey again!) and manuka oil. Some botanical ingredients are added: kawakawa and harakeke, traditional Maori remedies for many skin conditions; burdock root; thyme, a natural astringent and anti-inflammatory; and Canadian Aspen Bark, a natural preservative. There are no parabens, no artificial colorants, and no added fragrance. And speaking of fragrance - it smells lemony, a little like lemon meringue; and I found I didn't notice the smell for more than a couple minutes after I put it on.

It's advertised as ideal for acne-prone skin and will improve the appearance of blemished skin, as well as moisturize and protect skin against damage. I am one of those unlucky people with adult-onset acne so I was a good test subject for the cream. I've been using it twice a day as a full face moisturizer, not limiting it to just where the blemishes are, and I absolutely love it. It's not greasy and it absorbs very well. It doesn't burn or sting, even on freshly tweezed or sensitive skin. It feels fantastic actually - soothing and moisturizing. Even the few times I accidentally put on a bit too much, it still felt good - perhaps a bit waxy at the very worst. I am not about to share "before-after" pictures, but I know my complexion is more even and that breakouts are fewer and heal quicker. I know, because I've gone out a few times without wearing foundation and didn't really think much about it. For most of my adult life, I wouldn't consider stepping out of my house to go further than to the mailbox without wearing foundation, so that is quite something for me.

I had intended that my kids could use the Skin Clear Cream too, and they did try it, but since I hogged kept the jar in my room, they didn't use it regularly. I guess I will have to get them each their own jar!
  • it's recommended to avoid use of this product during pregnancy.
  • as much as I love this, I kind of wish it came in a pump bottle or something a little easier to dispense. 
Koru Naturals Review

Would you like to try some of the beauty of New Zealand for yourself? Here's what you need to know:
Visit the website: http://www.KoruNaturals.com/
See my previous review of Koru Naturals products.

Pricing: See the website for all ordering and pricing information. As of this writing, Emu Oil and Blue Tansy Oil Cream is $14.80; Manuka Honey Propolis Soap is $7.90; and Skin Clear Cream is $19.20.

You can follow Koru Naturals on Facebook; and on Pinterest.

Visit the Schoolhouse Review Crew blog for more information and to read other reviews. Crew members reviewed several different products from Koru Naturals so be sure to check out all the reviews!
Koru Naturals Review

Crew Disclaimer

Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to Homeschool Coffee Break by Email!

 ©2006-2015 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

I have done my best to provide accurate pricing and links at the time this post originally appeared. Please be aware that these may change.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.