Friday, December 9, 2011

Composer Study or Christmas Music?

Truth is, we spent way more time with Christmas music than with the Composer Study this week!

After overloading our senses with (my favorite composer) Beethoven last week, we probably short-changed the gentleman we studied this week - Franz Schubert.  I'll take most of the blame for lack of enthusiasm, as I haven't been a fan of Schubert in the same way I've been a fan of each of the other composers we've looked at so far.  And also, in my defense, we haven't been able to listen to any of Schubert's music online because we had computer issues the first half of the week.  We tried to listen/watch a couple of selections on youtube, but it was a little frustrating since every few seconds we would have to wait for it to load again. *sigh*  We accomplished what we needed to there, then went to the lone remaining VCR we have here, and watched "Ave Maria" from Disney's Fantasia.  And it reminded me that I really should see about acquiring Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 on DVD instead of VHS tape.   <---- revealing my age! *gasp*

We learned about Schubert's life from A Young Scholar's Guide to Composers and remarked on how much he accomplished despite a relatively short life.

Our other musical pursuits have kept us occupied this past week as well.  I sing in a community based chorus, and our Christmas concerts were Monday and Tuesday of last week.  And this week the choir sang a slightly abbreviated version of our concert at the mall, which was rather interesting.  Malls are not really known for their super acoustics. We also sang in a Big Band style Christmas concert on Saturday evening.  While I was doing that, Kennady was at dress rehearsal for the kids Christmas play at church.  The first performance of her play was on Wednesday night and all the kids did a great job.  Kennady sings a duet as "Mary" and she and "Joseph" were fantastic, if I say so myself.  There are two performances remaining - Saturday and Sunday evenings.

And I suppose we should get back to piano lessons...  oops...

This post is linked at ~a teaching heart~ where we are keeping each other accountable for making time for music in our homeschooling!

a teaching heart

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.