Friday, July 20, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal: In Which We Try Some Summer School

In our homeschool... I tried, I really did.  I wanted to get going with US History with Landon and Kennady this week, and we did get four out of five lessons done, so I guess that's a decent record considering everything we had going on this week. But Kennady and I didn't get very much farther with our Olympic unit study.  Landon has also been working on Algebra (review of that resource is coming next week - No-Nonsense Algebra), and I've been getting lesson plans finished up.

Spencer has been at Drivers Ed every morning this week, so now he is finished the classroom portion of the requirements. And this guy finally has his Learners Permit.

In other news... last weekend my hubby played in a charity hockey tournament that he and his buddies organize, so we were busy with that.  Several games, and a cookout.  The boys do scorekeeping for the league, and I just show up to watch a game or two and bid on some stuff in the silent auction.  Although I didn't win anything this year.  At final count, the Old Fat Bald Guys tournament raised over $2500 for Maryland Special Olympics.  Way to go, guys!!  You can see the "Tinley Cup" they play for sitting on top of the truck.



Then, I spent the entire week playing cabbie to Drivers Ed and a few other things.  Our church had VBS this week.  Kennady was the only kid attending, but the boys all helped at least one or two nights.  On Friday night we all went for the church dinner to celebrate the end of the VBS program.  And it rained so we had to do it inside.

Helpful homeschooling tips and advice... Many of the Schoolhouse Review Crew bloggers (including me!) will be participating in the Back to Homeschool Blog Hop July 30th through August 3rd.  I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to share about methods, curriculum, planning and more!
BacktoHomeschool


Questions/thoughts I have... I am still mulling over the schedule for the school year and trying to come up with something that I think will work.


One of my favorite things this week... believe it or not - writing my review for Knowledge Quest's Map Trek.  I just enjoyed this resource so much, and I'm also excited about getting started with our US History study.  Looking and thinking ahead to all the stuff we'll be studying this year is inspiring to me.


A photo/video/quote or link to share... this is not a direct quote, but inspired by a very dear lady at our Bible study this week.
Things that are over my head or out of my hands are still under HIS feet.

"And God placed all things under His (Christ's) feet and appointed Him to be head over everything for the church," ~ Eph. 1:22
On the bookshelf...
  • The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran
  • Brightest Heaven of Invention by Peter J Leithart
Finished Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This! by Bob Newhart, and The Love Child by Philippa Carr.

A parting shot... silly Kennady at the cookout last weekend.

This post is linked to iHomeschool Network - see if anyone else is doing summer school!

3 comments:

Debbie Phillips said...

I have thought about getting back into doing Homeschool Mother's Journal. Though it is still summer next week starts school for us, and not summer school but full classes. I am excited. I will only be teaching one child, all the others have graduated.

I love looking at others homeschool plans, methods, curriculum, planning, classrooms etc. I will be watching for your posts and for other posts from my old TOS buddies. God Bless. Have a great weekend.

Patty said...

Sounds like a busy week! I am so excited about the blog hop next week as well. Hope to see you there!

Mary said...

Great week! I am looking forward the the crew blog hop too!

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.