Saturday, June 29, 2013

Summer Reading {Blog Cruise}


Photobucket
I have always loved to read, and I'm glad that my daughter shares that trait with me. She is always looking for something to read, and especially likes to read in bed. She likes adventurous female characters, humor, and mystery; and she doesn't consider herself 'too old' to read simpler chapter books from time to time. Usually I let her choose her own reading material when we go to the library, but she does get my approval on everything anyway. During the summer, my kids have always liked to participate in the library's summer reading program and this year is no exception.
  

On Kennady's reading list:
  • she finally decided to read Anne of Green Gables, and having done so, she is now working on the sequels - Anne of Avonlea, Anne of the Island, Anne's House of Dreams. I have the entire collection of Kindle, so we'll switch to those for the few that I don't have.
  • the Nancy Drew mystery series. I have many fond memories of reading these and the Trixie Belden series when I was a girl. 
  • several fluffy and easy things like LarryBoy chapter books - she doesn't outgrow these!
  • she really wants to read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, but I don't know that she'll manage either this summer. She's about to turn 12 and is a very good reader, but I have a feeling Jane Austen's novels are still a little beyond her reading level, although she has watched the mini-series and movies with me, so maybe... If she wants to try I won't try to stop her!
   
On the list of books I'll suggest for her:
  • the Little House books. We've enjoyed some as read-alouds, but she hasn't read all of them herself. This is another series that I adored when I was young, and still do. Besides, we received a DVD about Laura Ingalls Wilder that we'll be reviewing this summer, and that should be an incentive to re-read Wilder's beloved novels!
  • the Narnia series. This is another series that none of us grows tired of, and we've read them all aloud, but I think Kennady might enjoy reading them for herself.
  • Mercy at Sinai by Hope Auer. Not sure when this will be ready for release, but we loved the first in the series, A Cry from Egypt, and plan to grab the second as soon as it's available!
Photobucket      
Past favorites:
  • A Cry from Egypt by Hope Auer (read our review here)
  • The Cuckoo Clock by Mrs Molesworth (one of Tuesday's Treasures)
  • Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne
  • Little House and Narnia books
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
What are some of your favorite books, especially for girls? Leave a comment and let me know! Be sure to visit the Schoolhouse Review Crew blog (this link will be live on Tuesday, July 2nd) to see what other Crew members suggested for summer reading for girls. You can also visit the Schoolhouse Review Crew blog homepage to see the reviews we are working on, past reviews, and past blog cruise topics.  

©2006-2013 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.