Wednesday, October 8, 2014

X is for.. eXpository Essay


Okay, I'm taking a bit of creative license with this one, but it's the letter X so indulge me. Also, I was working on my review of Fortuigence's Essay Rock Star Expository Essay Writing Course, which I wanted to post today, but I got interrupted about a gajillion times so I am cutting my losses and will post the review tomorrow.

The Expository Essay is the one that students are most often asked to write throughout high school and college - maybe even in the workplace. This is the type of essay that informs and explains a topic and it's usually objective. We realized only after Landon had finally settled on the subject of his essay that it was going to pretty hard to keep it completely objective, but it's working. The truth is, I even toyed with making him write the review about the Essay Writing Course, since he will be a better writer than I am by the time he's finished!

Most homeschool moms I've talked to want their kids to learn how to write well, but not nearly every homeschool mom feels confident in teaching their kids that skill. My guess is that most of us didn't learn the skill very well when we were in school! Or we may have learned it, but have forgotten most of it since graduating!

What a relief for me to find that the course from Fortuigence is teaching a logical writing process and breaking it down into manageable steps, even for my reluctant writer. Want to know more about it? Stop by my blog tomorrow for coffee break and read my full review! In the meantime, you can head over to the Schoolhouse Review Crew blog and see the reviews that other Crew members have already posted.

This post is linked at Blogging through the Alphabet, hosted by Ben And Me.
Ben and Me

Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to Homeschool Coffee Break by Email!

 ©2006-2014 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

1 comments:

Jenn H. said...

I LOVED expository writing in school. My kids don't seem to experience the same level of joy for some reason. :(

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.