Sunday, October 20, 2013

Homeschool Mother's Journal: Back At Home Edition

In our homeschool... I think it's been three weeks or so since I did one of these. We were on vacation for just over two weeks, so obviously we didn't do any school during that time - although I did count the hiking and swimming days as Phys.Ed. and the two days at National Parks as field trips. We got home very late on Monday night, so we haven't got much school done this week either. Here's hoping next week will be more like our usual schedule!

Social Studies - we did get to a book about the Inca and read it together this week. Landon and Kennady have been working a little on some reading and research on their own.

Math - Landon managed to get back to some Algebra this week; I don't think Kennady did any though. My bad, I haven't actually checked.

Music/Art - Kennady and I were back to our choir practices on Tuesday evening, and she was back to piano lessons on Wednesday. She had a decent lesson, despite not being able to practice during vacation. And she discovered that taking a break from playing guitar might mean the fingers are a little tender when she gets back to it.

In other news... this time it's mostly "other" news, since it was vacation and family time rather than school time! Our destination was southern Alberta, but we flew into Spokane which allowed us to take a couple days to see a bit of Glacier National Park in Montana, and to see some of the Canadian Rockies of British Columbia. While in Alberta, we spent time with my family - the main purpose for the trip was to see family and celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary! - and some friends; and took a trip to Banff National Park as well.
When we arrived home again, we had birthdays to celebrate. Harrison and Spencer had birthdays this week, and are now 21 and 19 years old. Goodness. Hard to believe. We went out for barbecue dinner on Friday to celebrate, but otherwise the birthday festivities were very low key.
the boys acting silly at the barbecue restaurant
Today we had friends over to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving (about a week late). It irritates me a little to have to label it "Canadian" but at least it gives some clue to others as to why we are celebrating in October. I had the best ever follow-up question from a grocery store clerk this week when I told him that we would be celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving - "does Canada have the same Christmas as the US?" Ummmm. Yes. And also the same New Years Day. LOL

One of my favorite things this week... During the past three weeks I've had tons of "favorite" things including (but not limited to): meeting a new sister-in-law and nephew for the first time; spending lots of time with family, and seeing my kids become friends with their cousins; laughing incredibly hard with good friends; seeing the beautiful mountains and prairies; and celebrating the wonderful example of marriage that my parents have given us.

Things I'm working on... thankfully, we're finished unpacking and even the laundry stack is back under control! But there are lots and lots of housecleaning and organizing projects that I need to work on now that we're home. I did some baking this week - two kinds of bread, pumpkin pie, and pumpkin roll.

My posts this week included:


A quote to share...
I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee.  ~Flash Rosenberg
On the bookshelf... I've made little, if any, progress on my book blog, so I have a lot of catching up to do there. I'm surprised I didn't get more reading done on vacation, but at any rate, here's what I have been reading:

  • Cry of the Peacock - V.R. Christensen
  • Worship on Earth as it is in Heaven - Rory Noland
  • A Walk with Jane Austen - Lori Smith
  • At Home in Dogwood Mudhole - Franklin Sanders (will be reviewing this for the Crew soon!)
  • The White Princess - Philippa Gregory
Finished Love's First Light by Jamie Carie, The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory, and Hope by Lori Copeland.


A parting shot... this very cool (in my opinion, anyway) picture of the Calgary skyline as a storm rolled in.


http://bit.ly/14VJ0MF


This post is linked at SoYouCallYourselfaHomeschooler.com, at Hammock Tracks, and at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers - see how many other homeschoolers spent time at home this week!

Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to Homeschool Coffee Break by Email!

 ©2006-2013 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.