Monday, August 11, 2014

My Back to Homeschool Checklist: School Scripture



You know those school supply checklists near the entrance of many stores around this time of year? Well, I got to thinking about what kinds of things would be on my checklist as we gear up to go "Back To Homeschool". Here goes!

I admit this is not the first thing I do to prepare for a new school year, but it is one of the most important. I choose a Scripture to serve as a theme for our school year. At some point during the summer, I think about what aspect of learning and discipleship we might want to focus on during the coming year. Sometimes there's an issue that several of us are struggling with, such as time management. Often the Scripture is something I can pray over all of us. And usually the Scripture I pick is an admonition to seek after knowledge and wisdom that honors God.

The Proverbs are full of good advice about wisdom, and this year I chose Proverbs 2:6-10.

For the Lord grants wisdom! From his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity. He guards the paths of the just and protects those who are faithful to him. Then you will understand what is right, just, and fair, and you will find the right way to go. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will fill you with joy.



I chose this passage because of the simple reminder that God grants us knowledge, understanding, and good sense! If we trust him and are honest, just, and faithful, he helps us to live that way more and more; and helps us understand what is right and just by his standards. We all need wisdom, and I love how this passage ends: "knowledge will fill you with joy." Even though a lot of the things we need to learn in school aren't necessarily super-exciting, I hope that my kids will cultivate a joy in learning. 

Here are some of our past School Scriptures. You can read more about our School Scriptures in a couple of posts I've done previously: S is for School Year Scripture and M is for Mission Statement.







It's only in the last couple of years that I have been putting the scripture on a photograph, but I'm glad I did! One year I had a bunch of extra prints made of the pictures, and at my homeschool moms' encouragement meeting, I invited all the moms that attended to take one of the prints with them. I still have to make prints of this year's Scripture, and I plan to give copies to each of the kids and have one for myself (plus probably more extras of all of prints for the moms again!); and I'll encourage the kids to put the picture in the front cover of one of their books or maybe on a bulletin board so they see it often. I plan to do the same with my print.

Do you choose a special Scripture for your homeschool? A new one each year, or do you stick with the same one? Leave a comment and let me know! Then be sure to visit the other Crew members that are blogging about "Back to Homeschool" this week! You can see all the participating blogs listed at the Schoolhouse Review Crew blog - or you can start by visiting the blogs I've featured below.
Back to Homeschool Blog Hop

Check out these blogs for more Back to Homeschool ideas and encouragement:
Tara @ This Sweet Life
Laura @ My (re)Viewpoint
Alyson @ Family Style School
Kemi @ Homemaking Organized
Karen @ Tots and Me
Anne @ Upstate Ramblings
Julie @ Nurturing Learning
Beth @ Acorn Hill Academy

Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to Homeschool Coffee Break by Email!

 ©2006-2014 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Lisa M. (aka. Lisa @ Farm Fresh) said...

Thanks for sharing your scripture for the year! This is something I could (and should) easily incorporate...

Annette said...

i like this idea of yours. :) thanks for bringing it to my attention.

annette @ A net in time (http://anetintimeschooling.weebly.com/a-net-in-time-blog)

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.