Saturday, May 21, 2011

Weekly Wrap-Up: In Which We Check Some Things Off Our List

In our homeschool this week... we finished Science!! There was a lesson on yeast and bread-making, and a final lesson on using chemistry to identify unknown substances. There is still a final test to do, but Landon and Kennady decided that they would like to do that on Monday, which is fine with me. One thing to check off the list, and we're that much closer to finishing the school year!





[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="320" caption="cartoon man made out of hole punches. 8-/ This is what they did while waiting for me to get their science lesson ready."][/caption]

Spencer put in a lot of effort into getting caught up this week as well, and there's some light at the end of those particular tunnels as a result. He has only one novel left for World Lit, and I think he already started - it's Animal Farm by George Orwell. He has his work cut out for him in Science and Math, but I think he can handle it.

In other news... we finally got our tickets for the Keys to Reading program this week (AAA baseball club has a reading incentive program that we participate in). That whole process was not without its headaches though, as for some unknown reason, they sent the ticket voucher package to a lady that was the contact for our homeschool group at least two years ago. Thankfully it had my name on it, so she figured out to call me and I picked up the tickets from her. Still, I have a feeling that very few of our group will actually attend the ball game which is tonight. We are going! There are supposed to be fireworks afterwards, which is pretty much our favorite part.

My choir concerts were on Monday and Tuesday evenings. Both performances went very well; I can't think of anything major that went wrong. So that's good. And now my Tuesday nights are sort of my own again.

Kennady's softball games were cancelled because the field was much too wet to play on. She had pictures today. We hope to make up the missed games next week, if the weather cooperates, and then it will be time for playoffs.

DH and the boys went on a canoe trip this morning with some church guys. Some good male bonding time.

My favorite thing this week was... going to Olive Garden for dessert after the concert.

What's working/not working for us... the hummingbird feeder is up and attracting hummingbirds!

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have... soon it will be time to set up end-of-year reviews. Hard to believe we're there already!

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...
 "Schooling confuses teaching with learning, grade advancement with education, a diploma with competence, and fluency with the ability to say something new." ~ Wendy Priesnitz

On the Bookshelf...

  • Miniatures and Morals: The Christian Novels of Jane Austen by Peter Leithart

  • Deep Church by Jim Belcher

  • Mansfield Park by jane Austen

  • The New Answers Book 1 - Ken Ham, General Editor

Finished Whence Came A Prince by Liz Curtis Higgs

A Parting Shot...



This post is linked to:  Homeschool Mother’s Journal at The Homeschool Chick and Weekly Wrap-up at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers



3 comments:

Tiffany Manley said...

Bread making - how fun!! How was the game? Did many others show up?

I agree with you, I can't believe the school year is about over, crazy!

Stopping by from THMJ!

Jessy said...

GREAT quote! We make bread here every other day! LOL Well, in a bread machine! Nice having science completed!!

Rachel T. said...

It does feel SO good to be checking things off our list! I agree! We love to watch hummingbirds. You will have to share some photos! I'm stopping by from THMJ.

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.