Wednesday, November 5, 2014

5 on the Fifth - November 2014



Today is the 5th of November, which means it's time for the 5 on the Fifth link-up hosted by Marcy at Ben and Me. This is just the second month, so here are the "rules". Each blogger participating writes a post highlighting five blog posts (from others!) that really caught their eye over the past month or so, and we pin and share the posts too. I think it's a great way to share some of the blogs we read that might not be the biggest names in blogging, but have some awesome things to say. Here are five posts I've picked out to share this month.

When I started following Callie at Mama's Coffee Shop, I just knew I was going to enjoy her blog. I love the name, and I love the tagline. And she writes some pretty neat stuff too. Like this one, about the joys and struggles of being mom to a teenage boy: 
The Teenage Years and Why It Isn't All About Me

Mama's Coffee Shop

 I like to read so I try to follow a few book blogs and author blogs. One I've recently started following is pdworkman. We were 'neighbors' several book-related link-ups in a row, and then I noticed that she is from Calgary (like me) and figured I should probably follow her blog. I liked this article:
All Young Adult Literature is _______________
because it puts to rest some of the myths about young adult fiction. I enjoy some young adult fiction myself! A good story is a good story.

 I've been trying to get serious about losing some excess weight, so an article titled
Why You Shouldn't Want to Be Skinny Tomorrow at "...Of Some Value" caught my eye.

And the Christmas season is drawing ever nearer. Are you ready? I am not. Some aspects of the holiday season... I just don't want to think about them. Or at least not yet. But seriously, I do love Christmas and the whole holiday season. So I am highlighting two articles related to Christmas.

Heather at Only Passionate Curiosity shares some things she's learned about celebrating the holidays without breaking the bank in
Christmas on a Budget: The 4 Gift Rule
Some great ideas there. In our family, we used to have a three-gift rule for the kids - gifts to represent gold, frankincense, and myrrh, the gifts given to Jesus by the wise men.


And I loved this - Tess at Circling Through This Life explains why
X is for X-mas (or Why X-mas Does Mean Christmas)
Seems like every year I hear somebody bemoan how Christ is being taken out of Christmas when the term "X-mas" is used. But that's not what is going on! Go read her explanation. 
Circling Through This Life   

Join in at 5 on the Fifth and follow on the 5 on the Fifth Pinterest board as well.
5 on the Fifth

Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to Homeschool Coffee Break by Email!

 ©2006-2014 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are great!! I loved Tess' post, too, and I'm definitely going to read through the rest. I am SO not ready for Christmas. Thank you so much!

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.