Monday, October 20, 2014

Middle School Monday: Art

Middle School Monday

Welcome to Middle School Monday!

I'm glad my daughter has a creative bent and enjoys art. I've never been a very good artist myself, so I'm not sure where it comes from, but she is quick to pick up pencil or pen or chalk pastels and draw.

Middle School Monday: Art

This year she doesn't have a separate art curriculum, as she has for the past couple of years. Instead, we are finding art projects that go along with her Cultural Geography course, and sometimes with her Meteorology course.

Sometimes they are rather serious drawings, like this one of Stonehenge. Although she can't resist adding a title in Dwarvish.
Middle School Monday: Art

We had fun making these Greek theater inspired masks, almost like giant emoticons!

Middle School Monday: Art

Simple science diagrams turn into artistic sketches.

Middle School Monday: Art

Middle School Monday: Art

She had an assignment in the Weather and Climate book asking her to draw a picture of her favorite kind of weather where she lives. She couldn't decide, so she did a four seasons panel in chalk pastel.

Middle School Monday: Art

Middle School Monday: Art

And any old time, she'll come up with her own projects for fun, like using up craft sticks, paint, and glitter to make Dr Who's sonic screwdriver.
Middle School Monday: Art

Or just doodling with chalk pastels and practicing shading.

Middle School Monday: Art

Middle School Monday: Art

This was last week's art project. I challenged Kennady to come up with some art with the theme Autumn Leaves for the Virtual Refrigerator, and this is what she did:
Middle School Monday: Art

 If you're looking for art instruction or ideas suitable for middle schoolers, check out my reviews of ARTistic Pursuits Middle School Book Two, ARTistic Pursuits Sculpture Technique, and Geography Through Art.

How do you include art in your middle schooler's education? Leave a comment and let me know! I also invite you to drop by the Virtual Refrigerator each week and share your art posts.

Each week I invite bloggers to share their posts about middle school here on Middle School Monday. The link is open through Friday, and I will do my best to visit, comment, and share your posts. Please grab the Middle School Monday button to add to your post or to your sidebar when you leave your link below, and please visit the other links and comment or share. I look forward to seeing what you and your middle schoolers are doing!
Middle School Monday at Homeschool Coffee Break

Please visit your neighbors, leave comments, and share!







 ©2006-2014 Homeschool Coffee Break. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

She's so creative!! Love the Dr. Who screwdriver lol

Kym said...

That one cracked me up - she did that on a Friday I was out of town. Would have been nice if she'd done an entire math lesson, but hey. I'll take what I can get. LOL

Becca said...

The previous two years, my art girl attended a kids art class at our small local art center. This year she is taking a clas with http://www.msoaonline.com/ we're looking forward to seeing how the new approach impacts her art.

Post a Comment

I love comments! It's like visiting over a virtual cup of coffee.